Sign in to follow this  
John.Harper

Best way to mount two pumps to one engine

We have been running a 4cylinder John Deere with 3 8@3600 pumps off of it. It has been the dream machine for the last 16k hours. But I can't help you out with heat as it is just a cold water machine. But I have been following this thread because I am thinking of getting some burners to put on it.

That Perkins will probably make a good engine. We have a 60hp Duetz that has around 15k hours and wouldn't trade it for anything.

It just has a shaft out the one end with a clutch on it. We have one big pulley with I think 9 grooves, and we have 2 pumps sitting on the one side and 1 pump out the other side.

The 2 pumps that are beside each other have the pulleys beside each other. so the pump heads are right beside each other facing the same way but the pulleys are both in the middle of each pump. We had to take the one pump apart and put the shaft out the oppisite side to make that work.

I hope that make sense.

We use them as three seperate pumps, meaning three guys are running them. We do not connect those together. We have a time or so but not as a norm.

So if we are only running 1 or 2 guys we will just disengage the slide clutch that each pump is mounted to.

yea that perkins is a beast i was up to about 5 in the morning lastnight trying to get that generator off it was such a PITA .. the motors been sitting for about 6 or 7 years in the weeds and it lit right up gotta love a diesel

hows ur cousin doing? didnt he start a wash business in morehead?...... Ive been wanting to build a machine like that, wanted to do 2 pumps and a generator for fleetwashing.

That was my brother, yea he is try to get started but hasn't quit his other job so it has done a whole lot as of yet.

Thanks guys! Yea we like it, and have had very little trouble out of it. We had to rebuild the injection pump once and ad to change the clutch twice, and we had to replace the water pump last month because the wheel had broke around the shaft and it wasn't spinning anymore.

Anyone ever think of mounting the pumps on like a seat track or something where you could pull a lever slide the pump to tighten/loosen the belts? When your only using one pump you could quickly remove the belts on the other pumps to reduce wear.