Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Cooked, Pickled, and Glass-Infused Decking

Question

6 answers to this question

Haha interesting. This last quote seems like my worst nightmare...can you imagine a customer calling about this if they didnt know it was special wood: "

First was the mold phase - not sure what that was all about, but it developed gray/black mold spots all over. I did nothing and they went away. Last year was the fur phase. I read about this from some other users. The top layer of fibers seems to slough off, and it looks like fur for a while before the fibers wear off. Now it seems to be settling in. Not as much splitting as regular pressure-treated lumber but small surface cracks like you get with SYP."

Haha interesting. This last quote seems like my worst nightmare...can you imagine a customer calling about this if they didnt know it was special wood: "

First was the mold phase - not sure what that was all about, but it developed gray/black mold spots all over. I did nothing and they went away. Last year was the fur phase. I read about this from some other users. The top layer of fibers seems to slough off, and it looks like fur for a while before the fibers wear off. Now it seems to be settling in. Not as much splitting as regular pressure-treated lumber but small surface cracks like you get with SYP."

I gathered that the wood WAS screwed up. They go on to say they are still working on the process.... :D

But I guess that might happen to some extent even if it was good?

That said, I don't why you couldn't stain right over that process to prevent some of the problems....assuming it didn't cause unevenness/streaking/lack of adhesion...

Which is ironic because if the boardwalk buy had stained the SYP wood in the first place it would have lasted more than 6 years. But now he is still going to have to stain it for aesthetics only the wood costs 3 time as much to begin with

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

The board walk has hardened, cooked wood; (CCA) the moldy wood guy was the sodium metasilicate homeowner. (SYP)

But yeah, if the board walk guy had properly cared for his wood he would have saved money long term plus at buy and install, since regular wood is cheaper and he said he had to predrill all holes...

But I guess a function of that is how long stains right along the boardwalk...which I don't know.