Sign in to follow this  
WashRite

Twist type connectors revisited

Question

I have never used these type of connects. I have always used quick connects and plugs for everything. With that said, I am thinking of using a combination of both depending on the situation.

I will always use quick connects for my guns, hoses, lances and specialty tools, however, I have a few high pressure connections that require very little maintenance and this is where I am having the headaches. I only know of two ways to deal with these quick connects. One, be sure to disconnect ALL connections on a regualr bases. Maybe once or twice a week. This will keep them from feezing up over time - Or secondly, wait for something to go wrong and fight to get the plug disconnected from the quick connect.

I have a couple of special connections that may benefit from using twist type connects. The first is where I have my two machines tied together in what I call the "Volume Manifold". The "Volume Manifold" has an output high pressure hose from pressure washer 1 connected to a chemical injector connected to a "T" connected to a ball valve conected to a "T" connected to a chemical injector connected to the output high pressure hose of pressure washer 2 all using QC's. Both "T's" have ball valves connected to the jumper hose to the hose reel. Sometimes I work by myself so I set the ball valves to the correct positions to run one gun using both machines. My machines are 5.1 GPM which double my volume to 10.2 GPM reducing my over cleaning time on bigger projects. The theory behind using QC's is when something fails like a chemical injector or ball valve I can simply disconnect and replace. Fortunately, these don't fail often but when they do the QC's and plugs are "frozen" together. They are very hard to separate. As I mentioned above, I could disconnect them on a regualr basis and probably not have a problem but that just aint gonna happen over time. Another area is where the high pressure jumper hose connects to the hose reel.

My thought is to get rid of the QC's and just connect the entire "Volume Manifold" using twist type connects and threaded nipples. The twist type connects would only be used on the outside connections. This would allow for easy removal of the entire "Volume Manifold". Then I could unscrew an injector or ball valve and replace it and easily reconnect the entire apparatus to the machines in just a couple of minutes. I even thought about adding a little high heat, chemical resistant grease on the twist coupling threads to help when I have to unscrew them.

Has anyone ever used these twist type connects in a similar process? What do you see as being a downfall to using twist connects in very specific circumstances like I have described?

3 answers to this question

I use the twist locks every place except a the nozzle. The only place I have a problem removing the twist lock is on the jmper hose from the pw to the chem injector and on the chem injector between the jumper hose and the reel.

I failed to mention that I use a "Chemical Manifold" that allows me to pull up to 4 different chemicals by turning on the specific ball valve for the desired chemical. I just added the 4th hook-up. It pulls a "line flushing" mixture to neutralize the cleaning chemicals at the end of each job. This may help keep the QC's functioning better over longer periods of time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I failed to mention that we use a "Chemical Manifold" that allows us to pull up chemical by dropping a hose into the lye solution. When done, we flush with dihydrogen monxide. This may help keep the twist locks functioning better over longer periods of time.