Sign in to follow this  
KGILL

Purchasing rebuilt power washer

How do you feel about purchasing a rebuilt pressure washer? I have found a distributor in my area that is willing to sell me a unit made by pressure pro (is this a good, reputable brand?) for less than what a new washer from a distributor that is not in my area. The distributor says it is a machine that was worked on but the customer never returned to pay for work completed.

Any thoughts, opinions, and what to look for if I do purchase a rebuilt unit would be greatly appreciated.

If the Distributor guaranteed the washer I would think about it. If it was a Pressure Pro cold water unit you should be fine, If it's the PP hot skid I might pass. Whats the price & hrs on machine? What was wrong with it in the first place?

Find out if it is coming with an kind of warranty. Definitely find out why it was in the shop in the first place. I personally don't see someone letting a 3 or 4000 dollars PW go, on a 4 or 500 dollar service bill.

Just my .02

Agree w Chad. Find out the history, and if there will be any type of warranty. Sounds a like a great deal on the surface, but I have seen many a used unit bought, myself included, only to have huge headaches down the road. Also see if you can get the previous owners name and contact info and make a call to find out the history and why he did not pick it up.

I'm not sure I would trust a history given by an owner that didn't pay his bill or a salesman trying to unload the machine. I'd negotiate a GREAT price for it. It helps to have a local shop you can bring it to when things stop going right, especially if you purchased it from them. This may be a great way to get started with little investment, but be prepared to make this your backup machine as soon as you have a little cash flow!

I've got a pressure pro skid that's about 10 years old. We've replaced the pump and engine, but the burner(minus blower motor and fuel solenoid) and generator are original and still run strong. It may be worth replacing fuel lines and filters and wiring. That said, it may be helpful if you have some mechanical skills! If you have to ask your sister how to clean out the carb...you may need to buy new!

In my state, that type of machine cannot be sold for more then what the repair ticket is. I would make sure I saw the ticket. The only place I have seen a pressure pro machine is on the back of trucks that are cruising me while I am working. I really and honestly know nothing about them.

I appreciate all of you who responded with your opinions. It turns out that it is not a good deal at all. I went to the distributor yesterday and all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up while talking to the salesperson. Oh well.