Sign in to follow this  
jgautreau

How do I get this off?

Question

Hello everyone! I am planning on putting in a bid to clean this building, but a while ago the building was tagged on by spraypainters. I think the organization tried to get this cleaned the best they could, but as you can see there is still white on the bricks. Is there anyway to clean this off with hot water? Any chemicals that you can let me know of? Is this paint or is this damage caused from previously used chemicals? Thanks for all your help. Also what would you charge per sq ft to clean brick, including this spot which is about 8' X 6'?

Thanks,

Joe

post-787-1377721395_thumb.jpg

post-787-137772139508_thumb.jpg

post-787-137772139512_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

The white seems to be prevalent on the brick, not the mortar, which suggests damage to the brick itself, unless the "artists" skillfully avoided the mortar. Perhaps the high pressure cleaner before blew the paint into the porous brick surface. How does the surface texture of the damaged brick compare to the unaffected brick?

It looks like the brick faced has been damaged - however - there is hope! www.eacochem.com They have two restoration acids (have you ever used acid on brick before?) that work very well. Mike in their customer service area is extremely helpful and will advise you on what to do.

Celeste

Celeste,

I haven't really used acids before. I planned on using a Chapin Acid Sprayer to apply the chemicals. I just want to be sure that this can be fixed before I tell them I can fix it. Thanks for your help.

joe.....if i had not read your post and someone asked me what i thought the problem was with these bricks with no history of what went before....i would of said it looks like efforesence....if you wet the bricks does the white go away ? if it does treat for efforesence....if not try a brick acid or some graffti cleaner......remember not to clean head on...stand to the side at a angle to the brick so as to not drive the water into the brick....