Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Disappointed in Ready Seal

Seems like I am getting different answers on this one. New cedar deck last year (Chicago), 2 coats ready seal. It took it nice, looked great for most of the Summer. For the 1st month I had the non drying oils tracking in the house. It was dry to the touch after the first day, no signs of any wet look. I tested by wiping my shoes on a white towel, no signs of oil, but every time I walked on my tile floor it felt like I had WD-40 on my shoes. Scrubbed it with a little Dawn dishwashing detergent, oils still there. By the Fall the deck looked real worn, dirty and moldy but the oils were gone I want to try Armstrong Clark this Spring because of the non drying oil problem and overall disappointing look after 1 year. My question is what do I need to do to prepare the surface? Some have said TSP, others Restore Deck (sodium percarb), others that I need to strip with DSR-50. Any advice would be helpful. The Ready Seal has done a good job of protecting the wood by the way. Thanks for your help!

Number one you cannot get 2 coats of ready seal in new cedar. So if you did that is why you are having issues . On new cedar if you over apply and you think it's ok the sun will heat up the oil at the surface and it will ooz back out attracting dirt and everything in the air. It becomes a magnet for filth. The easiest way to care for cedar is to wash it yearlyand apply one coat of half light brown and half clear mixed. It looks natural with just enough pigmt not to to wear.