Sign in to follow this  
RickDel

Is one of these Pressure Washers better then the other???

Which of these two units is a better purchase? I'm a homeowner/DIY'er looking for a quality unit that will handle anything I can throw at it around the house (decks, fences, sidewalks, siding, or anything else I might encounter around the house). They both seem pretty comparable with the same Honda GX390 engine, Triplex Pump, and both around 1k. I think the Dewalt is actually a rebadged Simpson Pro 4200. The only real differnce I can see is the Dewalt uses a steel cart verses the aluminum one that's included with the Pressure Pro (the Pressure Pro is actually $75 less, but I don't think it includes the hose and wand). is the aluminum cart really a big deal??

1. DEWALT 4200 PSI 4.0 GPM Pro Triplex Pump Gas Pressure Washer Honda GX390 Engine

4200 PSI 4.0 GPM Pro Triplex Pump Gas Pressure Washer Honda GX390 Engine-DXPW 4240 at The Home Depot washer honda engine&storeId=10051

post-9330-137772417442_thumb.jpg

The Dewalt DXPW4240 is a pressure washer engineered to

meet the rigorous demands of the cleaning professional with its 4200 psi Honda

engine and 4.0 GPM pro triplex plunger pump this gas pressure washer is setting

the standards by which all others are measured.

• Direct drive engine and pump for streamlined power transmission from engine
    to pump
  • Honda engine for reliable power and durability
  • Triplex pump design with ceramic pistons, adjustable unloaded and thermal
    relief valve
  • Detergent siphoning tube

2. Pressure-Pro pressure washer, 4 GPM, 4000 PSI, Direct Drive (E4040HGI)

Pressure-Pro - 4000 PSI - Gas Pressure Washer - Powered by Honda - Sam's Club

post-9330-137772417453_thumb.gif

ENGINE

13HP Honda GX390 OHV Commercial Grade

Overhead Valve

Electronic Ignition

Recoil Start

Low Oil Shut Down Feature

Dual Element Air Filter Assembly

6.9 Quart Capacity Fuel Tank

PUMP

TX1510A General Pump

Polished Ceramic Plungers

Adjustable Pressure Unloader Valve

Inlet Water Filter

Thermal Relief Valve For Pump Protection

FRAME

Aircraft Aluminum Frame w/ Lifetime Warranty

Pneumatic Tires

Dual Padded Shock Absorbing Rubber Feet

3/4"Axle

All Accessories Feature Quick Disconnect Fittings

Thanks for the help... I'm also open for suggestions! - Rick

I don't think that you can get 4k psi at 4gpm with an 11 or 13 hp engine. Nor do you need 4k at home.

It is usually best to buy the one with the best service department, but in the absence of that, purchase the one with the best replacement/refund policy.

Either unit certainly seems more than adequate for home use. The PP did have 50' listed as hose So perhaps it is complete.

One other place to look may be Northern tool. I have a five or six year old year old 3.2 gpm from there with a cat pump that was used as a back up until last year.

Timo, thanks for the quick response. I actually looked at this NorthStar Professional Series Pressure Washer — 4000 PSI, 3.5 GPM from Northern Tools last year, but everything I've been reading states that GPM is much more important than PSI, so I figured the two models I listed above must be better since they both have 4 GPM vs the NorthStar's 3.5 GPM (for approx the same price... the Dewalt is actually $300 less).

post-9330-137772417462_thumb.jpg

and I kinda figured this would be a little bigger than what I needed, but I want a quality unit that will last, and I've learned that it's normally better to have to much than not enough. I'm aware of the potential damage from excessive PSI, but is there any other drawbacks from having a larger unit?

Thanks Again!

If you can get a 13 hp engine to pump out 4 gallons a min @ 4,000 I'll be very surprised. The engine wont stand up to the strain. It will be operating at the absolute maximum, & wont last.

Timo, thanks for the quick response. I actually looked at this NorthStar Professional Series Pressure Washer — 4000 PSI, 3.5 GPM from Northern Tools last year, but everything I've been reading states that GPM is much more important than PSI, so I figured the two models I listed above must be better since they both have 4 GPM vs the NorthStar's 3.5 GPM (for approx the same price... the Dewalt is actually $300 less).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18389[/ATTACH]

and I kinda figured this would be a little bigger than what I needed, but I want a quality unit that will last, and I've learned that it's normally better to have to much than not enough. I'm aware of the potential damage from excessive PSI, but is there any other drawbacks from having a larger unit?

Thanks Again!

The drawbacks are that SAMs sells stuff to make you think that you're getting the real deal. Nothing wrong with that for their intended audience.

The unit with the cat pump will still be pumping water after you've replaced the pump a time or two on the dressed up dime store unit. The SAMs unit may put out a bit more water, but the cat pump will put it out longer. The cat pump will still have parts availability long after no resource even lists the pump, much less parts, for the SAMs pump. Although most pros would judge the Northern Tool units as inadequate for commercial purposes, the NT professional units are far superior to the big box units.

The box store unit will impress your neighbor when he sees it. The cat pump will impress you when it just keeps on making pressure, year after year.

I am not a good one to counsel you about water volumne as the current "small" unit on my trailer is eight gallons per minute. When we ran the 3.2 gpm NT unit it was hooked to another unit rated at 3.5 for a total of 6+ gpm.

Edited by Timo

TIMO, thanks for the reply. Below is a cut and copy from the Dewalt website that provides the specifics of the Dewalt Pressure Washer I listed above. It indicates the pump is either a CAT or General Pump. Everything I've read leads me to believe that General Pumps are almost as good as CAT, but the parts and repairs are much cheaper. The Sam's model I listed above comes with a General Pump as well. So, are you suggesting I should only purchase a unit that includes a CAT Pump, or are you saying regardless if it's a CAT or General Pump, it will be a lower quality version then the ones they sell at Northern Tool? Thanks - Rick

4200@4.0Gpm Powered By "Honda" GX390 Series 389CC Engine

• The DH4240 is rated at 4200 PSI @ 4.0 GPM - more than enough power to remove the toughest dirt from any surface!
    The DH4240 is built on a rugged steel frame, and is powder-coat painted for long life and superb protection.
    The HONDA® GX390 Engine is equipped with Oil Alert® - a feature that prevents the engine from operating if the oil level falls below the safe limit. HONDA GX Series Engines have long been recognized as the industry leader in providing reliable, easy-starting and fuel efficient small engines. In addition, the engine is protected by a three-year warranty and can be serviced at any HONDA Engine location across North America.
    The engine transmits power to the pump through our reliable Direct-Drive System, which helps ensure long pump life.
    The DH4240 is built with either a CAT Pump or a GENERAL Pump. Both pumps have proven themselves in the fields for decades, and are easy to operate, maintain, and service. Both are equipped with large flow/pressure adjustment valves, giving you more control over the water flow and pressure than ever before. Both pumps are equipped with Bypass Valves, letting you release the trigger gun and stop the water flow, without having to turn the engine off. This lets you safely move around while cleaning, without having to stop and restart the engine all the time.
    This model includes a downstream detergent siphon tube, which will draw your favorite detergent into the water stream without having it pass through the pump. This lets you use the Black Nozzle to propel detergent on your cleaning surface, and then quickly swap over to your preferred cleaning nozzle and finish the cleaning job.
    Five nozzles are included with this pressure washer - 0° (Red), 15° (Yellow), 25° (Green), 40° (White), and 65° (Black). The 0° Red is excellent for removing chewing gum from concrete surfaces. The 15° Yellow and 25° Green are most commonly used for cleaning a wide variety of surfaces. The 40° White nozzle is most commonly used to wash down surfaces or clean broad, lightly dirty surfaces. The 65° Black nozzle applies detergent at lower pressure to surfaces, and is the only nozzle that will draw detergent into the water stream.
    The DH4240 is ideal for professional painters, rental property managers, or any cleaning professional that needs a very reliable pressure washer!

It really does come down to the pump. Of the six Pw's I own, only one has a cat pump. Most are AR or General.

Study the pumps of the two that you have decided to pick from. Warranty first. The unloader is also important. Select the model with a replaceable unloader vs. built in to the head unloader if given a choice.

With that, I'd probably be partial to the PressurePro unit.

Okay, so I'm still researching and still confused. I called Dewalt and found the pump they are currently selling with the DXPW4240 (shown above) is a General TX1510A. This is the same pump listed above for the PressurePro unit. I called Dewalt and they informed me the unloader is 'built in'; however, thePressurePro has it described as 'Adjustable Pressure Unloader Valve', and if I'm not mistaken, I can even see it attached to the pump in the picture above. So, how is it that the same General TX1510A pump can have two different types of unloaders?

The Northstar from Northern Tools uses a Cat 66DX Pump. I might be better off with this one, but I only wish it was 4GPM like the Dewalt and the PressurePro. (though, I wonder if I’d even notice a difference if used the Northern 3.5GPM next to the Dewalt/PressurePro 4GPM???). Another thing to note is the Northstar is $300 shipped!! I can almost buy a new General Pump for that.

The bottom line is that I just want to get something reliable that will do the job quickly and efficiently! (I don't want to let a couple hundred dollars deter me from getting a better unit).

Thanks!

Edited by RickDel

At this point you need three things; a quarter, a hand with a thumb, and an eyeball to determine if it's heads or tails.

If there is no difference in the warranty - you checked for PP and Dewalt, right?, if there is no difference in the pumps or unloaders, if there is no difference in the attention to detail of the clerk that takes your money, then there is no difference. Except that which you perceive. Go with the one that makes you happy. Or flip for it. Or go with the Pressure Pro and make me happy.

You really have done your homework and will be well served by any one of the three mentioned.