Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Mobile Homes

Question

There are 2 mobile home parks here in the local area that I plan to door hang and paper with flyers this spring for power washing. I am hoping to get a good response and maybe pick up some add-on jobs (driveways, sidewalks, etc) while I'm cleaning the mobile homes. I have driven around the 2 neighborhoods and it looks like alot of home owners could use my service there.

Is there anyone that has alot of experience with mobile home parks who might be able to offer some advice, tips or tricks? Thanks.

Mike

hoosiermike@hotmail.com

35 answers to this question

I did this manufactured home yesterday. 2.5 hours for $280. It was creepy crawley especially on the north side. Gutters (in general) are driving me MAD! They seem to take way too much time and scrubbing. I've tried a heavyduty industrial grade butyl degreaser from straight to 1:3 and purple power with various ratios. Still looking....there is no WAY the gutters I see could ever be done without brushing.

I did this fellas Dad's house several weeks ago and he footed the bill to have his sons house washed for a birthday gift.

100_0666.jpg

We call those modular homes, as opposed to trailers. Different animal completely!

that is true...but when the big winds come, call it whatever you want, because it'll be called "gone"...... and there are sooooo many in hurricane/tornado prone areas....but, what are ya gonna do?

nice and clean by the way....great job....i like to brush gutters anyway, less chem useage and saves trying to see if theyre clean and if not then applying again and getting the brush anyway....

Technically, there is a difference between a modular home and a trailer. Trailers literally have axles and wheels and are pulled in by semi. The marriage wall is only 3 " thick. Modular homes are constructed inside in controlled environments then put together on a foundation on site. The marriage wall is thicker since they use actual 2x4's for framing. There is no DMV title for a modular home, rather you will see a Certified Modular Home sticker somewhere inside the house. Pricing is vastly different and as an ex-frustrated mortgage broker, lenders view these type structures differently - period. Trailer - axle, Modular - foundation. The most pathetic thing of all though is that we are currently washing for a rather large builder and I've seen how their houses go up. If we get a hurricane through here, the development is going to look like a trailer park without the axles...and these are $350K - $500K homes.

Celeste

Technically, there is a difference between a modular home and a trailer. Trailers literally have axles and wheels and are pulled in by semi. The marriage wall is only 3 " thick. Modular homes are constructed inside in controlled environments then put together on a foundation on site. The marriage wall is thicker since they use actual 2x4's for framing. There is no DMV title for a modular home, rather you will see a Certified Modular Home sticker somewhere inside the house. Pricing is vastly different and as an ex-frustrated mortgage broker, lenders view these type structures differently - period. Trailer - axle, Modular - foundation. The most pathetic thing of all though is that we are currently washing for a rather large builder and I've seen how their houses go up. If we get a hurricane through here, the development is going to look like a trailer park without the axles...and these are $350K - $500K homes.

Celeste

So basically, same animal but a stouter breed. :)

Do they still have 2" gaps under all the interior doors? :eek:

Do they still have 2" gaps under all the interior doors? :eek:

LMFAO, but true.

AND.....don't EVER make the mistake of telling someone who just paid $120,000 for a "modular" home that he has a "nice doublwide".....it makes them fightn' mad!

There are 2 mobile home parks here in the local area that I plan to door hang and paper with flyers this spring for power washing. I am hoping to get a good response and maybe pick up some add-on jobs (driveways, sidewalks, etc) while I'm cleaning the mobile homes. I have driven around the 2 neighborhoods and it looks like alot of home owners could use my service there.

Is there anyone that has alot of experience with mobile home parks who might be able to offer some advice, tips or tricks? Thanks.

Mike

hoosiermike@hotmail.com

Here is the original question.

If it's a modular home park, price and wash them just like a regular house wash. The market may bear higher prices and appreciate quality service. Flyers can work for you.

If it's an older park with trailers on axles, even if they are covered by cheesy skirting that blows off when you try to rinse it down, you may not be able to sell higher end washes. Or maybe not washes at all.

If it's a trailer lot similar to the one Joe Dirt's parents lived in, chances are flyers aren't going to do much good.

I would evaluate each park and based on observations, and decide whether or not I feel the disposable income is there. If so, do flyers, if not...no flyers.