Sign in to follow this  
COACHS

how much bleach is the starting point?

Question

Hello all to this forum. Just joined. If I don't have my signature or something is incorrect please let me know.

My auto detailing business started washing fleets last year and this year is moving into other avenues of pressure washing....such as house washing (BY THE WAY IF ANY OF YOU NEED HELP WITH AUTO DETAILING/BUFFING I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HELP TO SHOW MY GRATITUDE IN HELPING ME GET STARTED WITH THE POWER WASHING SIDE OF MY BUSINESS - SEND ME AN EMAIL OR PM - I know how hard it is to start a business and learn the ropes and having a mentor is vital).

As I learn and read many of your posts here I can't find a starting point as to how much bleach to add to the house wash solution. My first product that I have purchased for house washing is Emulsifier Plus because I heard some good things about it and that it is bleach friendly. It recommends a ratio of 50 to 65 to 1 with its solution but I don't know how much bleach to start with. I asked the retailer and they did not have a good answer. I understand that there will be mild, medium and severe cases and the ratio will need to be adjusted from there, but where does one start? If I have a 50 gallon tank that has 50 gallons of water and one gallon of Emulisier Plus how much bleach should I add to start with? I haven't a clue...1 gallon of bleach...is that way too much???

If that starting point does not remove the mold/mildew than should I add more bleach and reapply?

To throw one more factor at this question...how do I adjust this ratio if applying with an x-jet? I may just use a 12 volt sprayer and directly apply it to the house but I may also use the x-jet.

15 answers to this question

Hello all to this forum. Just joined. If I don't have my signature or something is incorrect please let me know.

My auto detailing business started washing fleets last year and this year is moving into other avenues of pressure washing....such as house washing (BY THE WAY IF ANY OF YOU NEED HELP WITH AUTO DETAILING/BUFFING I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HELP TO SHOW MY GRATITUDE IN HELPING ME GET STARTED WITH THE POWER WASHING SIDE OF MY BUSINESS - SEND ME AN EMAIL OR PM - I know how hard it is to start a business and learn the ropes and having a mentor is vital).

As I learn and read many of your posts here I can't find a starting point as to how much bleach to add to the house wash solution. My first product that I have purchased for house washing is Emulsifier Plus because I heard some good things about it and that it is bleach friendly. It recommends a ratio of 50 to 65 to 1 with its solution but I don't know how much bleach to start with. I asked the retailer and they did not have a good answer. I understand that there will be mild, medium and severe cases and the ratio will need to be adjusted from there, but where does one start? If I have a 50 gallon tank that has 50 gallons of water and one gallon of Emulisier Plus how much bleach should I add to start with? I haven't a clue...1 gallon of bleach...is that way too much???

If that starting point does not remove the mold/mildew than should I add more bleach and reapply?

To throw one more factor at this question...how do I adjust this ratio if applying with an x-jet? I may just use a 12 volt sprayer and directly apply it to the house but I may also use the x-jet.

The question is not how much SH to put into the house wash solution but, how much house wash solution do you need to make up. Then everything else is percentages based upon what a normal 100 gallon mix uses of each solution.

If you have a 50 gallon tank that has 50 gallons of water and one gallon of Emulisier Plus it is going to overflow. That is 51 gallons in a 50 gallon tank. Go figure.

Marcus, I did not mean a 50 gallon tank but 50 gallons of water with one gallon Emulsifier Plus. So how much percentage of bleach if I am going to directly apply product to house siding is the starting point?

For sure Ace and Doug can give you all the answers you are looking for. They are already very knowledgeable in this field. I've read their posts and I'm amazed of their knowledge in power washing.

Marcus, I did not mean a 50 gallon tank but 50 gallons of water with one gallon Emulsifier Plus. So how much percentage of bleach if I am going to directly apply product to house siding is the starting point?

I do not mix my house washing solutions that way. My trailer holds 2 tanks. One for SH and the other for water so I do not cavitate the pumps on either of my pressure washers. I use a pressure washer with a 20% remotely controlled injector on the the pump output and down stream power wash the house with my house washing solution. It does not include Emulsifier Plus. I have never needed additives for my house washing solution. In most cases it is just marketing of products that are not necessary.

post-9057-137772419353_thumb.jpg

post-9057-137772419329_thumb.jpg

post-9057-137772419337_thumb.jpg

post-9057-137772419343_thumb.jpg

post-9057-137772419348_thumb.jpg

hi coachs, the final ratio coming out of the nozzle applied to the siding should be 10:1 to 14:1 depending on how "thick" or what color the mildew is, thats what the "dirt" usually is, it relly depends on your area and what you are washing off to finally determine what your housewash mix should consist of, ideally your set up should be the pwasher and a downstrem injector with the appropriate nozzle, an xjet usually means you have to carry buckets of chems around, get an injector that will work with your gpm and nozzle combination and put a chem tank with straight bleach in itand just let the injector siphon it out...

What you need at the end.... is about 1% bleach on the house siding to do the job.

Agreed, best answer in thread. The strength of mix will also depend on the amount of build up and the ability of the mix to break through and "degrade" it's adhesion to the surface to be c leaned.

hi coachs, the final ratio coming out of the nozzle applied to the siding should be 10:1 to 14:1 depending on how "thick" or what color the mildew is, thats what the "dirt" usually is, it relly depends on your area and what you are washing off to finally determine what your housewash mix should consist of, ideally your set up should be the pwasher and a downstrem injector with the appropriate nozzle, an xjet usually means you have to carry buckets of chems around, get an injector that will work with your gpm and nozzle combination and put a chem tank with straight bleach in itand just let the injector siphon it out...

Been a while Bob. Thought you fell off the face of the planet. Hope all is well.

I mix 1gal sh with 1gal house wash fill rest of 5 fall bucket with water and downstream

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to TGS. please complete your signature line. House rule # 1.

We're glad you are here.