Question

[TABLE=class: kmsg, width: 918]

[TR]

[TD=class: kbuttonbar-left][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: kmessage-left]I started last year with a new strategy for dealing with semi trans acrylics (common from HD & Lowes). Acrylic semi trans are easier to stip than solid acrylics with over all short dwell time necessary to break the finish (mix Sodium Hydroxide with Flood or Sherwin William stripper).

Even though they are easier to strip compared to solid acrylics I've become tired of dealing with stripping railings and sanding fuzzies on the pickets. My new strategy is to use SW Deckscape acrylic on the railing color matched to AC on the deck floor and rail cap. Semi trans and semi solids are best in this process for color matching.

I strip, sand the floor and rail cap and clean the railing. Stain the floor/rail cap and paint the railing. The results are fabulous with over all short project time, looks good, no fuzzies to deal with and good profit margin. The novice does not complete at this level. So, it's easy to be one of the few service providers to offer this kind of service and switching to oil sales itself. Horizontal surfaces are easier to deal with in the future because they are protected by oil. Many consumers do not even notice the texture difference between the two product types but of course I explain it to them. Acrylic on railings hold up well. See below for a cedar deck stained with AC Cedar Semi Trans and the railing painted with color matched Deckscape acrylic.

post-6261-137772419118_thumb.jpg

I do not strip solid acrylics anymore because getting the profit margin my company commands is tough and dealing with chems is not at the top of my list. Solid acrylics are scrub brushed cleaned, feather sanded and a coat of Sherwin Willams Deckscape applied.

Carlton Cleans

**We do not use a pressure washer (power washer) in deck restoration. We exclusively use scrub brushing and deck cleaners to prepare the wood for a finish.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: kbuttonbar-left]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

1 answer to this question