Sign in to follow this  
J13ntv

HD-80 Precautions and help please

Hello all, I am new here but have done a lot of reading before hand. I have a few questions which I can't seem to find the answers for when I go forum searching. I realize hd-80 is primarily sodium hydroxide which in a solid forum can be hazardous to humans, plants, pets and most materials such as aluminum etc.

Now for my questions; Once mixed is it still just as unsafe to humans in terms of chemical burns? When mixing 3oz to 1 gallon of water thats only a 1-2% solution which should be sufficient for my two year old semi solid, faded cabot stain. I plan to wear rubber gloves and goggles when mixing and also when applying. After you let the product dwell 5,10,15 minutes and perform scratch tests and you then go to low PSI the solution/stain off the deck, do you have to worry about getting it on you when you power wash the deck off? It hard not to I would think... Or what it may get on when your power washing it off, such as a sliding glass door we have, or localized plants (rinse often).

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you very much.

Edited by J13ntv

Semi solid might take much longer or not work at all . The finish has to de- laminate from the wood so you can push it off. Some products are better or just very hot water works. Or a combo of both stripper and hot water .

Yes, it's still unsafe to humans and plants once mixed. After rinsing and dilution, it's not so bad, but you don't want it on your skin or your plants. Keep them wet, or cover them while using it. Be careful covering your plants, use clear plastic, you could kill them if you use something like black garbage bags. You don't have to worry too much about getting it on you once diluted by rinsing, but it can still burn you. Usually there is no issue when rinsing, just wet down anything you're worried about before, during, and after. If you get a chunk of gooey old stain with caustic on your skin, you'll know it's there, I promise.

In another life I worked in water filtration, and made the filters a lot of pressure washers use for de-ionized water. We used sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and hydrochloric acid to charge the de-ionizing resins. Then we used sulphuric acid to neutralize our waste water's ph before dumping into the city sewer. Once your caustic is rinsed with enough water, it will become a neutral ph again, and will basically be rendered harmless. I have, unfortunately, been drenched with caustic and hydrochloric at different times from lines bursting under pressure and other plant mishaps. Neither is very nice on the skin, but caustic (in it's pure form like we used there) is the worst. It's a slippery and very heavy viscous liquid that does not rinse easy, and when it starts burning, it's because it's IN your skin, not on it. It's nearly impossible to get it "off" and stop the burning once it's set in, and it can leave some nasty marks.

Not trying to scare you, but be careful and wear proper protective gear. The diluted kind you will be using isn't as bad, but if you get it on you, you're going to really wish you hadn't. Think of your plants in the same manner, they won't like it either. Be careful.

You can water and then cover the plants with some plastic if you are concerned. I would mix stronger than 3oz per gallon on a semi solid but do a test first. Keep a bottle of regular household vinegar around if you get any stripper on your skin you can use the vinegar to neutralize it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2