Sign in to follow this  
Mike

PSI vs GPM

I've noticed alot of Equipment suppliers are pushing their products advertising 5000PSI and in fine print you see somthing like 3GPM, which to me from what I know so far is not that great. I'd rather have a machine with 2800PSI and 5GPM then a machine with 5000PSI and 3GPM.

Mike

Your right, its not to often that I use over 2500 psi unless Im stripping paint off cement, more water flow will clean faster and do less damage.

Mike your exactly right. I very seldom get over 2000psi unless like Bart said I'm stripping paint, cleaning boat bottoms or cleaning concrete. I'd chose GPM over psi any day.

I'm in the market for a new pressure washer. Let's say I opt for a portable, hot water unit (4 wheel cart) rated to deliver 5+ GPM. How realistic is it that most home's water supply will be able to handle the 5+ GPM supply requirements? Unrealistic to count on this? What about utilizing a portable 35 or 65 gallon float tank? I have a hang up dragging long hoses (hot water at that) from a trailer mounted unit across a customer's grass.

Thanks,

Scott

You'll need a float tank for most situations. However, considering the weight of a 'portable' float tank, it seems like dragging hose might be the better option. Water=8.33lbs per gallon. 8.33X35=291.55lbs.

Plus those "portable" hot water units are not always so portable. I have seen two wheel units that are movable, and have owned a four wheeled unit that would move but it would usually take two people. Either setup your looking at 4-5 hundred pounds, and thats not a lot of fun if you have any type of hills or rough terrain. I would reccomend a skid unit and a good hose reel, it will save your back in the long run.