Sign in to follow this  
Robere

Belt, direct, clutch?

Question

Looking to buy another Pressure washer. I have a direct drive 4000psi 4gpm now. I've done a lot of research and it's hard to find much feedback on the clutch/pumps. Would it be better to buy a belt drive with a clutch rather than a direct drive? I'm needing a portable unit, not a trailer mount. Something I can load up a ramp by myself. Thanks for any input.

Edited by Robere

4 answers to this question

We have for years went with Direct Drive. No problems. Our 3/8 -1/2 inch thick cold rolled steel plate has held up just fine.

Our recent build though maybe a belt drive with a little twist to it... meaning not you standard Twin V Belt set up.

We may incorporate a serpentine belt drive to power 3 or 4 units with 1 belt. I have yet to see any Pressure Washer unit with this design. We believe this will be the best over all belt system for a MDU (Multi Device Unit).

Here is a photo of our Direct Drive unit. The red American Made Hydraulic motors are 28+Hp piston Direct Drive. Because of Hydraulic Drive system, our Kubota Engine runs only at 1,900 RPM's. The Engine is not running at FULL throttle as most pressure washers do, but less then 2/3 speed and right at the " Sweet Spot" for the engine. I would recommend this system to anyone who needs to do extreme washing.

44ae315b.jpg[/img]

to be specific and clear..

Belt drive is the opportunity to run the pump at a slower speed,

allowing easier draw from a water tank without cavitating the system..

Seals last longer, valves last longer, no heat is being added to the pump from "touching " the motor,

there's no risk of damaging the motor shaft key-way ..like there is on direct "shaft-to-shaft"-driven pumps..

EVERYthing is longer-term-lower-cost with belt drive.

Clutch drive has very limited application in this industry..

Multi-functional systems, like having a belt drive generator with a belt drive vac-blower,

..and a pump, all on one engine-system..

You might want to "turn off" the pump, when you're just using the vac to suck-up a flood,

or to run the pump when you don't need the vac, etc.

With clutch drive, you would NEVER want to turn on the clutch while the engine is at high speed..

..it will tear-up the clutch very quickly, and why ?

..cuz you wouldn't reduce the engine speed long enough to "easy-start" the clutch ?

I've offered the clutch on our BullDogPro Pressure washers for 30 years,

and the only buyers were carpet & flood people.

Belt drive is King.

Simple and sweet.

Call me for more detail.. I'll keep you from wasting money and/or time.