Sign in to follow this  
COACHS

pressure washer overheating

Lance, it's doubtful. If it is bad, it's bad. Kinda like a lightbulb. If it were bad, the machine wouldn't start in the first place.

Manuf. recommended moving engine fuel intake to ignition side and rerouting carb line there too. see pics from above posts. could that help? Got a huge fan and new 30w oil in engine see how it does today?

Hotter then heck today. I thought my pw would die for sure. Last night I changed the oil to 30w. The gas tank was nearly empty...heard using no ethanol gas might help too so I filled it up w no ethanol gas. I put a larger fan inside the trailer too. With these three new things the engine did not quit once on me today. Now was it just luck? We will see.

You never mentioned that you were using ethanol gas before. That is the cause of all your grief. I cant remember why you should never use ethanol in your feul, but there is a definite reason for it. Briggs & Strattton recommend a minimum of 87 octane [91 RON] withup to 10% Ethanol being acceptable. Throw the fan away, & change where you get your gas from.

They tried adding it to desiel over here in Australia, & it started destroying the seals in the injectors & /or the pump itself in 4x4's. It's got to do with the tempeture that ethanol burns at. So, new fuel new plugs & fingers crossed you hav'nt burnt out an exhaust valve. Keep us informed & good luck!!

You never mentioned that you were using ethanol gas before. That is the cause of all your grief. I cant remember why you should never use ethanol in your feul, but there is a definite reason for it. Briggs & Strattton recommend a minimum of 87 octane [91 RON] withup to 10% Ethanol being acceptable. Throw the fan away, & change where you get your gas from.

They tried adding it to desiel over here in Australia, & it started destroying the seals in the injectors & /or the pump itself in 4x4's. It's got to do with the tempeture that ethanol burns at. So, new fuel new plugs & fingers crossed you hav'nt burnt out an exhaust valve. Keep us informed & good luck!!

Kohler recommends up to 10% ethanol. Most all gas stations provide 10% and greater ethanol. Only a few stations have ethanol free. I hope the gas was the problem.

I wanted to post again an update...

Since changing the oil to straight 30W and running no ethanol gas I have not had any issues with the Kohler engine shutting down.(Hopefully this is not some cruel fluke) I stopped using the fan as well. I am 99% sure that it was the ethanol in the gas that was the problem on hot days and the oil change was just a bonus. Something with how the Kohler engine is constructed makes it not run good with ethanol gas on a hot day. Even though I was only using a low ethanol gas it was enough to be a problem. So, if anyone else has a problem with their Kohler engine try using no ethanol gas and see if that helps. Hope this helps someone in the future and they don't have to waste so many hours like I did.:distrust:

Thanks for updating Lance. I have not had this issue, but I was eagerly watching this thread just in case I do. I'm glad to hear you got it resolved, because I know the feeling of getting to a job and having equipment make you look silly. I'm sure my ears and face turn bright red with anger and embarrassment! It happens though, so we just have to get through it all the best we can.

Good to hear you got it sussed. Pity you didnt mention the ethanol sooner tho. Don't ever run it on Premium either. You will destroy the engine in about an hr!