Sign in to follow this  
John T

Copying content from another site??

Question

What if you give permission for someone to copy something off your site wouldn't that be hurtful to you also?

According to this below it would only seem logical to not even let your site be copied even with permission? So being a nice guy here can bite you in the butt, can that be true??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

STOLEN CONTENT HURTS YOUR RANKINGS

Stealing copy from other sites is not only ethically wrong and often illegal; it is also not doing you any favours in the search engine arena. Search engines like Google try to rank websites as usefully as possible. In order to provide the highest quality results to their users, they try to eliminate spam sites and non germane sites from their results page. If a Google-bot crawls your page and goes, “Hmm… this copy appears verbatim on 221 other pages,” it’s going to rank your site much lower than someone else’s site that has unique copy on it.

19 answers to this question

John Hundreds of sites one the Web blog info off others Sites for Various reasons. Facebook is just the largest site that does it, might actually Be Youtube.

HERE IS HUNDREDS THAT ARE COPIED FROM EVERYWHERE ON Pressure washing Institute. Media - Pressure Washing Institute

People get hired from these Blogs, you should ask your customers next time John.

This site has credited content, I think there's a large difference when continued links an credit not given.

What if you give permission for someone to copy something off your site wouldn't that be hurtful to you also?

According to this below it would only seem logical to not even let your site be copied even with permission? So being a nice guy here can bite you in the butt, can that be true??

Stealing copy from other sites is not only ethically wrong and often illegal; it is also not doing you any favours in the search engine arena. Search engines like Google try to rank websites as usefully as possible. In order to provide the highest quality results to their users, they try to eliminate spam sites and non germane sites from their results page. If a Google-bot crawls your page and goes, “Hmm… this copy appears verbatim on 221 other pages,” it’s going to rank your site much lower than someone else’s site that has unique copy on it.

Read that part again and again.

In other words, if your site is a copy of someone's site out there then it is considered spam.........when it is on 221 other pages. I seriously doubt that 221 or even 100 other pressure washer sites would copy content from someone from the bbs's out there.

In other words and expanding on this, if your site has the original content and it is posted on other sites, you are not getting viewed as spam, the 221 other sites are, not you because your site was first with the content.

I know that little paragraph might be a little hard to understand but to put it simply, if your content is first and copied, you are not being viewed as spam, the other sites are but I seriously doubt that many will copy content from your site, the most at one time copied from my site was probably around 12 or so but there is always a first time.

Your site with unique copy on it will be the original, not the copy so you should be ok. Don't worry about it but do check with any web professional and they will tell you the same thing if they know what they are talking about. This is what the pro's told me and I listen to the pro's out there, this is what they do for a living and they are good at it.

Now read that paragraph again.

It is written towards someone that stole content, not who had content stolen from them. It is almost misleading but read it and understand that they are talking to people that are out there stealing content and how it will not benefit them.

It is not written to people who are having content stolen from them.

This should clear up everything so it is all clear as day now for all to understand.

Edited by Christopher

We need a SEO professional to respond here.. I was under the Impression that if someone takes your blog or info off your site there really doing you a favor because you originated it.. But from what I read that may not be true..

Does anyone know if a Charly Caldwell or someone along those lines responds to these bulletin boards?

Time to get the info from the pro's who do this stuff for a living. We may know a ton about Powerwashing because we do it for a living but on this me personally I would like to hear if from the pro's who do SEO work for a living.. Something doesn't sound right.

I've found my videos on foreign blogs that tell basic information about coil cleaning. So what? They link back to my youtube account and my site. If anything they raise awareness of the need for my services.

This thread has nothing to do with SEO.

It's just stirring up crap where it otherwise wouldn't exist.

Suddenly everybody is an SEO expert.

Here's a thought, how about all the experts quit pretending that make money powerwashing and pursue your true calling as SEO experts.

ADDED: I'm not talking about John or Chris, I'm talking about the "experts" who keep trying to stir up trouble with lies.

Edited by tonyshelton

I've found my videos on foreign blogs that tell basic information about coil cleaning. So what? They link back to my youtube account and my site. If anything they raise awareness of the need for my services.

This thread has nothing to do with SEO.

It's just stirring up crap where it otherwise wouldn't exist.

Suddenly everybody is an SEO expert.

Here's a thought, how about all the experts quit pretending that make money powerwashing and pursue your true calling as SEO experts.

ADDED: I'm not talking about John or Chris, I'm talking about the "experts" who keep trying to stir up trouble with lies.

The only way to know for sure Tony is to call in an expert that's not a Powerwasher. I just gave this young kid permission to copy my Swabby page on my site.. Now it looks like one of the dumbest things I've done.

You better talk to Ron. He's also accusing people now from stealing off of the ***** site.. It just never ends with him. His newest accusation is someone here is steeling links and he has an attorney ready to roll on doing something about this..

He also brought up mirroring and drove everyone nuts on the ***** awhile back.. That story was a crock.. Tell Ron to take a chill pill and stop it already..

He's obviously catching flack once again because he did something without permission. That's what all of this looks like. He took blogs and put them on his site..word for word.. The least he can do is ask for permission like any other respectable person would or should.. I'm getting sick in trying to put out his fires.. Your his friend. Try for once and tell him to just knock it off and do something positive without pissing so many people off...

For better or worse he took people's blogs without there permission. That is what seems to be the problem and some of those people may no longer want to be linked to him...

That's my point about Perez Hilton. He's the gay guy who likes to attack anyone and everyone in "Hollywierd" he also jumped all over a couple of years ago the new Mrs. USA that said a marriage should be between a man and a woman. The girl was allowed to speak her opinion..and he goes berserk.... That's for Chris who didn't know who Perez Hilton was...

Back to Ron.. He needs to stop pissing people off. Every garbage thing in the last 12 yrs that showed it's face Ron is at the core of it... He's wearing his friends out who do not follow him blindly like 2-3 others do who will probably all end up in this post..

Tell Ron to just stop it and stay positive or he's going to go right down the ****zer where no one cares about him anymore.. The truth hearts and this is it for me to try to reach out to him to stay positive.. Thru you Tony. You maybe his last true hope to succeed where others have failed.. Or bust.

Good luck--your going to need it and I really mean that.

Edited by John T

The only way to know for sure Tony is to call in an expert that's not a Powerwasher. I just gave this young kid permission to copy my Swabby page on my site.. Now it looks like one of the dumbest things I've done.

You better talk to Ron. He's also accusing people now from stealing off of the ***** site.. It just never ends with him. His newest accusation is someone here is steeling links and he has an attorney ready to roll on doing something about this..

He also brought up mirroring and drove everyone nuts on the ***** awhile back.. That story was a crock.. Tell Ron to take a chill pill and stop it already..

He's obviously catching flack once again because he did something without permission. That's what all of this looks like. He took blogs and put them on his site..word for word.. The least he can do is ask for permission like any other respectable person would or should.. I'm getting sick in trying to put out his fires.. Your his friend. Try for once and tell him to just knock it off and do something positive without pissing so many people off...

For better or worse he took people's blogs without there permission. That is what seems to be the problem and some of those people may no longer want to be linked to him...

That's my point about Perez Hilton. He's the gay guy who likes to attack anyone and everyone in "Hollywierd" he also jumped all over a couple of years ago the new Mrs. USA that said a marriage should be between a man and a woman. The girl was allowed to speak her opinion..and he goes berserk.... That's for Chris who didn't know who Perez Hilton was...

Back to Ron.. He needs to stop pissing people off. Every garbage thing in the last 12 yrs that showed it's face Ron is at the core of it... He's wearing his friends out who do not follow him blindly like 2-3 others do who will probably all end up in this post..

Tell Ron to just stop it and stay positive or he's going to go right down the ****zer where no one cares about him anymore.. The truth hearts and this is it for me to try to reach out to him to stay positive.. Thru you Tony. You maybe his last true hope to succeed where others have failed.. Or bust.

Good luck--your going to need it and I really mean that.

John, you have to be one if the most easily confused people I have ever met. Ron did nothing wrong here, Again. Please stop trying to be his friend or mine and regretably take your place on the other aide of the aisle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

John, Like I mentioned several times on different bbs's, you will have to search out a SEO pro, most pro's don't surf the power washing bbs's, their customers go to them as they are pro's and don't go looking for work, it finds them.

If you want a pro, use the google, yahoo or bing search button and give it your best, that is the only way you will finally be at peace and know the truth I have been telling you.

You can ask on every bbs you can find and wait years and years for an SEO pro to answer you but it most likely is not going to happen, you have to search them out for the help you need.

I know you can do it, good luck.

John, Like I mentioned several times on different bbs's, you will have to search out a SEO pro, most pro's don't surf the power washing bbs's, their customers go to them as they are pro's and don't go looking for work, it finds them.

If you want a pro, use the google, yahoo or bing search button and give it your best, that is the only way you will finally be at peace and know the truth I have been telling you.

You can ask on every bbs you can find and wait years and years for an SEO pro to answer you but it most likely is not going to happen, you have to search them out for the help you need.

I know you can do it, good luck.

I did just that Chris if you look in the beginning of this post.. A respectable person would ask for permission to take a blog or whatever.... Not a person who says "of it wasn't for me yada yada" and then takes as he pleases. For one don't do it and if you do and it pisses people off then stop doing it.. And I know your smart enough to know that.. He's pissing people off by taking there blogs and they don't want him to do it..so he comes out swinging with bullying tactics like of it wasn't for him garbage..

He's got enough of u guys kissing his azz..but sorry bro most see right thru it..and if your his friend you would tell him so instead of letting the drama get out of control-- but you won't.. Cause everybody is stupid except for Ron.

And Ron if your reading this don't call me on fathers day with these wild accusations stories or call me anymore with negative untrue garbage..or any negative stuff. Call your drama buddies who love these conflicts.. Grow up man and stop the romper room stuff or go on "Jersey Shore" or whatever....

John, you have to be one if the most easily confused people I have ever met. Ron did nothing wrong here, Again. Please stop trying to be his friend or mine and regretably take your place on the other aide of the aisle.

Ok.. Your ten times different in person.. And since that's your request I'll oblige. I took all the negative out of my life because I fought enough good fights that most were worth fighting for. You guys can fight with all you want and if you get banned in the process you'll only have yourselves to blame.

Ok.. Your ten times different in person.. And since that's your request I'll oblige. I took all the negative out of my life because I fought enough good fights that most were worth fighting for. You guys can fight with all you want and if you get banned in the process you'll only have yourselves to blame.

Guess what..Ron is noting in person like you keyboard cowboys descrube him either

I give up John.

You are talking about something totally different than what I suggested.

I suggested you seek out pros in the SEO, I did not mention anything about anyone taking content or anything else for that matter.

You were wondering if someone posting your content on their site would hurt your rankings and I told you it would not and to check with SEO Pro's out there, not one guy you have heard about or know but multiple so you can understand what I am saying. That is ok. I try to help you but you go off on a tangent and never return to the original topic of the thread, others using others' content.

I give up. I can only try so much. Good luck out there wherever you are.

I give up John.

You are talking about something totally different than what I suggested.

I suggested you seek out pros in the SEO, I did not mention anything about anyone taking content or anything else for that matter.

You were wondering if someone posting your content on their site would hurt your rankings and I told you it would not and to check with SEO Pro's out there, not one guy you have heard about or know but multiple so you can understand what I am saying. That is ok. I try to help you but you go off on a tangent and never return to the original topic of the thread, others using others' content.

I give up. I can only try so much. Good luck out there wherever you are.

You should give up Chris because your beating around the Bush.. What's in question here is someone just taking people's blogs, pictures, pages or whatever without there permission and now they find out about it and want it stopped. It's as simple as simple as that. What your saying has nothing to do what's going on. And in case you missed it there is someone we all know that has taken site material without permission and some people are not happy about it..

Do you understand now??

You should give up Chris because your beating around the Bush.. What's in question here is someone just taking people's blogs, pictures, pages or whatever without there permission and now they find out about it and want it stopped. It's as simple as simple as that. What your saying has nothing to do what's going on. And in case you missed it there is someone we all know that has taken site material without permission and some people are not happy about it..

Do you understand now??

Actully John, you are off track, here is your beginning of the thread when you are asking if your site ranking will be hurt if someone copies your content:

[h=2]Copying content from another site??[/h]

Like I have mentioned several times, this is written for someone that has stolen content, not for he original content owner, I can see how you might be confused with this.

Now you are talking about someone taking content without permission and want it stopped, 2 different things.

It would be nice if you could stay on course but that is ok, we all understand.

I was posting about the original post in this thread, not about the tangent you have gone off on but that is ok.

If people out there are unhappy about a situation, why aren't they posting or calling that person?

Or did they and the issue is resolved already but some people want to add fuel to the fire and manipulate someone to start a thread to bash someone?

If the issue is resolved with the people that are involved, why was this thread started, I heard this was resolved a couple days ago? Why start a thread about something just to change the subject to talk about something else unless that was the intention?

It would be nice if these threads would stay on course with the original post, that is ok, we understand.

Moved my response here out of public view. Getting away from negative wasted time battles.

Edited by John T
Moved response

John, try to stay on topic like at the beginning of the thread or start a new thread, you are really confusing me with jumping all over the place, changing topics and BASHING Ron and other members of this site, that is not professional of you to be BASHING members of this site, especially as a MODERATOR of this site.

I am trying to stay on topic but you keep jumping all over the place and talking about everything else but what stolen content does to a site (original topic of this thread aka the reason this thread was started). If you don't want to discuss the idea of what happens to sites when content is stolen from them then that is ok with me but please let me know what you are trying to talk about so I can keep up with you, my brain does not jump around like that and it is hurting my brain. hahahahaha j/k

If you are going to keep talking about something (1 thing only) in this thread, please let me know what it will be about so I know as I am trying to stay on topic (original topic of what happens to a site when content is stolen from it) this way we are all on the same page and not getting confused.

One last thing, please stop bashing members here, that is not only not professional, (especially as a moderator) but it makes you not look good and it shows other members out there that you have no problem bashing members here and they might not feel welcome here as a member. I don't think the bbs owners would like new members getting scared away because of member-BASHING here, it is not a good thing to do, especially as a MODERATOR. Please stop the member BASHING John, ok?

Thank You.

Give it up Chris.. I'm moving my post into the private area and out of public view. Pulling completely away from the nonsense and the drama.