Sign in to follow this  
COACHS

please lay it out clear on siding oxidation

Question

Ok- so I am reading through old posts in our forum and one post says one thing and the next says another. Can anyone give it to me straight and clear? What is the most effective and efficient way at removing oxidation from siding.... brushing or no brushing, bleach or no bleach needed, simple cherry or some other house wash, high pressure or low pressure, and so on?

I am talking about siding that you rub your fingers across the paint and you come back with white chalk on your fingers.

And do the same rules apply to metal or vinyl siding?

Thanks to anyone that can lay it out clearly!

14 answers to this question

Are you restoring the vinyl? Are you up charging to remove the oxidation? Are you including oxidation removal in your house washes?

You basically have to brush the whole house with a high PH chem the gutter cleaner from pressure Tek works the best. Removing oxidation from aluminum siding should only be done if they're going to repaint.

Hot water, medium psi.

I charge a $1000 minimum for oxidation removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guy B

Are you restoring the vinyl? Are you up charging to remove the oxidation? Are you including oxidation removal in your house washes?

You basically have to brush the whole house with a high PH chem the gutter cleaner from pressure Tek works the best. Removing oxidation from aluminum siding should only be done if they're going to repaint.

Hot water, medium psi.

I charge a $1000 minimum for oxidation removal.

Thanks for the response, Guy. I have my first house with heavy oxidation removal coming up but I wanted to do more research before doing it. No, they are not going to repaint. It is metal. I don't know if it is steel or aluminum. Does this matter?

If you rub your finger across the paint it looks much better where your finger mark is.. because of the white chalk that has been removed. I was thinking of using Envirospec emulsifier plus, no bleach, medium water pressure and brushing on one side of the house to see how that looked. What do you think?

Should I use stronger soap like the gutter cleaner only on oxidized vinyl siding? Also, is hot water a must have for this process? thanks a ton for your expertise.

If it's oxidized metal siding anything you use will probably take it down to bare metal.

You may want to think about passing on this job unless you get waivers from the homeowner.

Thanks for the response, Guy. I have my first house with heavy oxidation removal coming up but I wanted to do more research before doing it. No, they are not going to repaint. It is metal. I don't know if it is steel or aluminum. Does this matter?

If you rub your finger across the paint it looks much better where your finger mark is.. because of the white chalk that has been removed. I was thinking of using Envirospec emulsifier plus, no bleach, medium water pressure and brushing on one side of the house to see how that looked. What do you think?

Should I use stronger soap like the gutter cleaner only on oxidized vinyl siding? Also, is hot water a must have for this process? thanks a ton for your expertise.

In most instances if you haven't done any aluminum or metal siding before its better to just pass if its in the bad of condition. BUT! If you are are extremely slow your best bet is trying to upsell a repainting job as well so you don't have to worry about not streaking the siding.

It's not to difficult around here to find 100+ painters that are experienced and reputable. Againif you are slow and they are poor, do a test spot with the HO and let them know about the risks with these types.

I would either upsell a repaint or pass if its in that bad of condition.

Edited by shefferz

Gutter Zap will remove the paint. Gutter Grenade will remove the oxidation and leave the paint.

Thanks for the heads up, Thad. Is hot water and brushing a must with the Gutter Grenade and oxidation removal from vinyl siding...most of the time?

A two step approach using an alkiline cleaner then an acid works very well.

James, do you use a two step truck wash for oxidation removal? If so what brand do you like?

Lance, stop asking questions about this. A homeowner that wants oxidation removed on their aluminum siding - yet doesn't want to pay for a repaint, is a homeowner that's going to stick you with painting their whole house for free.

Just walk and look for another profitable job.

Lance, stop asking questions about this. A homeowner that wants oxidation removed on their aluminum siding - yet doesn't want to pay for a repaint, is a homeowner that's going to stick you with painting their whole house for free.

Just walk and look for another profitable job.

I agree. My last couple of questions have been regarding vinyl siding.