Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Small New PT Deck and Cedar Railing

Question

Here is a small new ACQ deck and cedar rail even the top cap is cedar.It was cleaned with bleach and soap and brightened then it was stained with BGA Cedar Gold.

The deck was only 1 month old and it was tough to get anything to soak in the decking. The homeowner didn't want to wait a few more months till the deck cured longer.They understood that it will effect the longevity of stain.

P.S this was a job where they found me here on TGS Thanks Beth n Rod :cool:

post-658-137772435357_thumb.jpg

Edited by seymore

8 answers to this question

It's like going a month without showing...gonna get dirty quick. "New" wood in particular may have been sitting for months at a lumber yard in the rain or weeks on a customer's property in the dirt. It also contains lots of chemicals from the pressure treating process that leach out on the surface. Or the carpenters building it get dirt and mud when they walk on it. Properly prepared wood will better accept stain and result in a longer lasting finish

Looks nice. If it was only a month old why did you clean it?

Thanks Keenan! :cool:

Well the pine decking wasn't the prettiest ACQ wood "greenish tint" so bleaching it and brightening the pine helped lighten that up. Cleaning will also help dry the wood out to try and get it to accept as much stain as possible.

I like to clean all PT decking I stain but I have stained new cedar without cleaning in some cases.

Here is a small new ACQ deck and cedar rail even the top cap is cedar.It was cleaned with bleach and soap and brightened then it was stained with BGA Cedar Gold.

The deck was only 1 month old and it was tough to get anything to soak in the decking. The homeowner didn't want to wait a few more months till the deck cured longer.They understood that it will effect the longevity of stain.

P.S this was a job where they found me here on TGS Thanks Beth n Rod :cool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19142[/ATTACH]

You are most welcome. Glad they found you!

Beth

The cleaning really helps open up the pores, and it helps remove any mill glaze, so it goes a long way to getting as much stain into it as possible.

Very nice work Shane. Did you do the ceiling inside there too, or is that painted?

Very nice work Shane. Did you do the ceiling inside there too, or is that painted?

Thanks Adam.. :cool:

That's some paint he's thinking about re painting only the trim not the ceiling. I thought it would look better green with that Gold stain.