Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

Jake the Snake

Question

9 answers to this question

Snake and Asteroids... heh Actually... Engineering Mechanics(Statics), AutoCAD, Geology, and Calculus with Analytical Geometry. Currently majoring in Construction Management but may soon switch to Civil.

get a full blown engineering degree, not a management degree. Then, work with a firm and get a PE. You'll make more money than any manager and they will be listening to *you*. Well, that's what I'm doing, so it sounds good to me!

Actually, one of my uncles is the executive vp of Gray Construction and although he won't tell me what his salary is, when he was promoted from Operations manager they gave him a $80,000 raise. I am guessing he is around $160,000 a year. He is one correspondence class away from receiving a civil degree from UK, but claims his degree isn't needed now that he has advanced as far as he has. He knows engineering but only as reference information, not working knowledge. Anyway, after I have completed some courses I will make my decision. The civil degree is basically the CM degree with another year worth of courses. Regardless of what I do I plan on becoming a certified surveyor just because.

Honestly, I love this work right now. It gives me tremendous freedom. I am my own boss, I actually enjoy the work and recieve satisfaction from it. I am a fool for tools and equipment so it gives me a good excuse to buy as many tools as I can think of, and the bank to do so(+what I save in writeoffs). Did I mention I like being my own boss? Plus you can make as much as money as you can stand. If you want to work 18 hr days you can. I just recently landed a contract with a company that is renovating a group of convenience stores all over this side of the country. I have been working all night Fri and Sat nights traveling around this area cleaning the storefronts and pump islands. They have over 1000 stores, I don't have the list of the ones they are renovating but my contact said not to schedule anything anytime soon. If anyone is interested I may sub contract out some of the ones that are further away.