Sign in to follow this  
DJclean

soft washing roof questions??!!??

Question

Ok so im booked all week with roofs now that Im equipped for soft washing it should be much quicker. I did a shingle roof today and it came out nice and clean. I used a ground guy and I kept everything wet. I bagged the gutters when I applied the chemical. I then removed the bags after like 30-40 min. I rinsed the roof and put a bunch of water around the gutters and landscaping. Now Im praying nothing dies. ( seem like a lot of sh for the grass). My question is I have a barrel tile roof to do and it was no gutters. How do I keep from killing the grass with w/out being able to control the run off. Any help is greatly appreciated..

6 answers to this question

Ok so im booked all week with roofs now that Im equipped for soft washing it should be much quicker. I did a shingle roof today and it came out nice and clean. I used a ground guy and I kept everything wet. I bagged the gutters when I applied the chemical. I then removed the bags after like 30-40 min. I rinsed the roof and put a bunch of water around the gutters and landscaping. Now Im praying nothing dies. ( seem like a lot of sh for the grass). My question is I have a barrel tile roof to do and it was no gutters. How do I keep from killing the grass with w/out being able to control the run off. Any help is greatly appreciated..

Are you using a proper surfactant?

Are you using only that amount of SH blended with water to the proper dilutions needed to kill the algae in say, twelve minutes or so?

We flush the gutters a bit into the downspout bags. Somebody else does the roof rinsing later.

Do you have tarps for the un-guttered drip line? Keep them wet, but not too long in one place.

Are you using a proper surfactant and only applying the minimum amount of hypo needed to do the job, and no more? (I see a pattern developing here).

Minimize mix strength. Optimize surfactant. Apply judiciously.

For tile roofs Im mixing 50/50 SH / 10% water with roof snot. For shingles I'm mixing 30/70 SH /water and roof snot. sound about right? with 50/50 running on to the grass will it be ok if i rinse like crazy? i do have some tarps and plastic drop clothes

For tile roofs Im mixing 50/50 SH / 10% water with roof snot. For shingles I'm mixing 30/70 SH /water and roof snot. sound about right? with 50/50 running on to the grass will it be ok if i rinse like crazy? i do have some tarps and plastic drop clothes

Sounds about right

The hardest part of roof cleaning is keeping the plants alive. I did a tile roof the other day and keep diluting my sh because it was cleaning the tiles so quick. Most bigger plants can withstand the sh, might brown the leaves up but it shouldn't kill the plant. However, I have killed a customers cheap flowers that you get for like a dollar at home depot. Kinda of hard to avoid them, throw a tarp and they smash them, water them with anything more than a mist they destroy them. Is the roof snot worth it?

I want to see if the grass line I watered had died at one of the roofs I did. hmmm

Daniel ... WATER, WATER and MORE WATER. When we clean a roof with no gutters, we water everything under the roof's drip line first, as we are applying the mix to the roof, the ground guy keeps watering below me and when we are finished cleaning the roof, everything get's a final rinse. Irrigate all vegetation before starting the job, keep water on all vegetation during the job and give all vegetation a good rinse afterwards. We have not lost one plant, shrub or blade of grass implementing this method. Also, do not stop watering until the mix stops dripping from the roofs edge.

Tip: make sure your ground guy pays close attention to overspray and put water on those areas. A good ground guy can save you a lot of time, money and headaches!