Sign in to follow this  
Jason Reider

Stripping verticals question

Question

9 answers to this question

Can a surfactant like Roof Snot be added to a stripper to help it stick to the verticals allowing it more time to work?

Jason,

A qualified "yes" as I am not familiar with "Roof Snot". We use a lot of a knockoff of Tergitol NP-9, otherwise known as Polyoxyethylene Nonylphenol, available from ACR Products. A well as the cling factor on vertical wood, it keeps your stripper mix wet longer for difficult strips.

Jason,

A qualified "yes" as I am not familiar with "Roof Snot". We use a lot of a knockoff of Tergitol NP-9, otherwise known as Polyoxyethylene Nonylphenol, available from ACR Products. A well as the cling factor on vertical wood, it keeps your stripper mix wet longer for difficult strips.

Rick would that Tergitol NP-9 be used as like a booster for the stripper?

Rick would that Tergitol NP-9 be used as like a booster for the stripper?

Shane,

I would consider it a valued "add on" to a stripper mix. I don't believe it makes a stripper mix more "hot" per se, but more effective due to cling and keeping the mix wet longer. Formulations containing ethylene glycol are usually considered a "booster" for NaOH based strippers as they make the mix more powerful.

It's funny, I use ACR Products for nearly all my chemicals. Their private labelled "Booster" is actually the surfactant, while their ethylene glycol based mix, or what most would consider a booster is labelled "ACR 633-ADD". Go figure!

Thanks Rick. I'll check out the Tergitol NP-9 you mentioned.

Jason,

Tergitol NP-9 is a product of Dow Chemical and originally under patent. Quite expensive the last time I looked. Now that it is off patent, other manufacturers produce essentially the same product at substantially less cost.

How about trying gaur gum? I've used it in the past to thicken HF so it clings longer on brick work. Acts as a lubricant as well, which is a bonus when applying it with a broom.