Sign in to follow this  
mordy

water wells

Question

Hi,

I need some info. I dont have my own water tank yet. My question is, can i take customers that have water wells? are there some wells that are ok, and some not? Thanks for any input.

5 answers to this question

Hi,

I need some info. I dont have my own water tank yet. My question is, can i take customers that have water wells? are there some wells that are ok, and some not? Thanks for any input.

Yes, there are some wells that are okay and some that are not.

We carry water tanks with us and refill from the customers spigot, explaining that we never hook any machines or pumps to their well line that would stir up sediment or tax their well. Besides, we're only going to be there an hour or so, so we won't be using that much water anyway.

Some wells are of such low flow rates that they would not support any kind of additional use. For them, we take our "tanker" which is an old army truck with several very large water tanks on it. We fill it from our well before we leave for the job.

And then there are cisterns. Nobody wants us using up their cistern water water for a house wash. Sometimes, we schedule their cistern water supplier to meet us on site when we start and then he refills again after we leave but usually we just haul our own water for ease of scheduling.

There is a charge for each tank hauled.

So yes, you can do it without tanks, sort of.

Edited by Timo

Customers usually tell us if they have problems with well output, we have buffer tanks also. The output of the well needs to match or surpass the the needs of your machine. If the well output is less than what your machine needs you run the risk of damaging your pump. To eliminate this all you need (depending on gpm) for your pressure washer is a small buffer tank. 50-100 gal tank should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

thanks for all the info. i will look into purchasing a small buffer tank. in the mean time, is there a way to determine if a particular well is strong enough for my equipment? thanks

You can "Time It" in a 5 gal. bucket. Time the flow from the well in a 5 gal bucket, if it surpasses the gpm of your machine you're good to go.

i.e. if your machine is 3 gpm and your bucket test is 4 gpm..you're good.

If the bucket test comes out to 2 gpm...no good.