Sign in to follow this  
Erichy

Is using Chlorine to clean a house illegal?

Question

I'm reading all I can on this and from what I've found so far is if it has an EPA number on it you have to use it as the label states. All three brands I use have an EPA label and the instructions are all about pool cleaning. DO you guys buy chlorine with no EPA number on it? I know every professional power washer uses this to clean with so there has to be something I'm missing. Thanks in advance. Eric

10 answers to this question

I'm reading all I can on this and from what I've found so far is if it has an EPA number on it you have to use it as the label states. All three brands I use have an EPA label and the instructions are all about pool cleaning. DO you guys buy chlorine with no EPA number on it? I know every professional power washer uses this to clean with so there has to be something I'm missing. Thanks in advance. Eric

Call Robert Hinderliter or the PWNA..they will help you with the correct Environmental information for the East Coast.

The BDA approves and endorses the use of bleach for your cleaning needs as long as it's used at the right strength as not to waste it!

Eric, not sure where you're getting that from, but I assure you your information is incorrect.

Well after some more research and some phone calls the EPA says that if it has a registration number the company must only use the product in the manner stated on the label or a fine could be imposed. The three brands of Chlorine that I have used are from a pool supply company, Walmart, and the hardware store IMG_20130510_091115_830.jpg all having an EPA number. So I have to find a brand that has no EPA registration number on it. From everyone I've talked to they don't have the numbers on their brands so I guess I'm just lucky. I'll buy in bulk from a chem supplier, problem solved.

Yup I buy in bulk to. A skid at a time of 5gal. Containers of Chlorine. You may be looking into this to much IMHO.

The Chlorine I get is from a Pool Supply Co. that you need to have a Lic. For which I have. Ths Chlorine is about as high as they come which is rated @ 15%. which is almost 3x stronger then your household bleach.

Get it like us then it can be used for many different applications.

Thanks for all the info guys. The one and only reason I care is because the local $150 wash guy is angry at me for being successful and is telling everybody it's illegal to use Bleach to clean with. I figure if he actually called on me I'd better have my ducks in a row.