Sign in to follow this  
John T

BMP's confusion?? Easy explanation.

There seems to be some misunderstanding of what BMP's are. So lets take a look at what maybe causing some of the misunderstandings here.

First and foremost it must be understood that BMP's are not law. One doesn't get a summons for violating a BMP, they get a summons for violating the law. Anyone selling you on anything different there you should be immediately suspicious as to what their intent is to do so.

So if you know anyone who was summons for violating for arguments sake the clean water act and they paid a fine then they were found guilty of violating some law even if it was on a plea bargain. Violations fall into the law category. Also a violation conviction generally means you were convicted of an "Infraction" and not a crime. Misdemeanors & Felony convictions are another story.

BMP's stand for Best Management Practices. You can incorporate your own set of BMP's or as in the www.PWNA.org you can use there BMP's and restructure them if need be to work for your area.

An Example of a simple BMP:

A simple BMP let's say for my business could be like this- When Powerwashing the operator is advised to wear eye protection and work gloves. All I would be saying here is for my business this would be a BMP but it doesn't make it.. The law.

So I hope this helps clear this up for some as to what a BMP really is.

So in short you're basically saying that BMP's for any company or org is just a set of guidelines for that specific company/org? And that these BMP's are not affiliated with the government of the United States, and that these BMP are the sole design of that said company? That the law has no bearing on a company's BMP?

So in short you're basically saying that BMP's for any company or org is just a set of guidelines for that specific company/org? And that these BMP's are not affiliated with the government of the United States, and that these BMP are the sole design of that said company? That the law has no bearing on a company's BMP?

Yes. BMP's can follow the law such as no wash water discharge directly into a storm drain if that's what your local laws state but it's not vice- versa. Laws over rule BMP's. Another words you BMP's if different from what the law states they have no bearing in your defense..

Obviously you want BMP's that are inline what the law states when you get into those grounds within your BMP's but your basic BMP's such as when KPOW personal are Powerwashing, shorts is not an acceptable work attire. Etc etc etc

State agency's can adopt BMP's where they expect contractors to follow them or even be more strict then what their BMP's are but if you aren't at least following what there BMP's are you most likely will find yourself violating some type of law in that area.

BMP's are Guidelines.

Why does an org need to make BMP's regarding waste water control?

They don't. But then why would they do it at all I guess would be your next question. Waste water control is a big issue for many commercial Powerwashers. So a national org. should IMHO step to the plate and try to be at the forefront in helping there members and this Industry in general to be able to work with the AHJ's etc that works in favor to the Powerwashers. What exactly that is has caused alot of debate which is always good if it can stay professional and eventually those debates tend to not work out to well in the long run. But the initial parts are always worth it because people tend to think together to work things out until it gets ugly.

From what I have read there is only a small part of the BMP's that are causing the discourse. The majority of the BMP's the PWNA offers for example most people would be in agreement that are workable. Alot of it is common sense. For example, directing your wash water over to a landscape area instead of straight down a storm drain. Just basic commen sense.

A national org should deal with issues instead of looking the other way and offer their members nothing. If the members didn't want that they have the ability to vote out the BOD's and the chairs of the committee's etc.

But back to your first question Kris-- an org. doesnt have to do anything but I rather be a part of an org. that is proactive instead of one that has no direction known or doesn't want to do anything of actual value to it's members.