Sign in to follow this  
Trevor C.N

How long is to long: Recoats

Question

At what point do you guys decide to strip an old coat instead of a simple wash-down and recoat? I’m having trouble with this question and could really use some guidance. I’m not referring to solid stains, just penetrating stains. I specifically use AC

If the first coat looks faded and worn, will a second coat over-top look inconsistent and shabby, will it fail?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

The darker the color the more problematic on the floor and top hand rail. This issue with some products is if you have done a maintenance many times just the color is coming off and oil is still in the wood. This means not much product goes in and the spread rate goes to 400 square per gallon.

After two years I take the color off .

At what point do you guys decide to strip an old coat instead of a simple wash-down and recoat? I’m having trouble with this question and could really use some guidance. I’m not referring to solid stains, just penetrating stains. I specifically use AC

If the first coat looks faded and worn, will a second coat over-top look inconsistent and shabby, will it fail?

Thanks!

24-36+ months I usually use a very light stripper and as long as it is staying the same color I don't worry if I've missed anything. Comes off easily when washing either way so I figure I replacing the surface protection

The darker the color the more problematic on the floor and top hand rail. This issue with some products is if you have done a maintenance many times just the color is coming off and oil is still in the wood. This means not much product goes in and the spread rate goes to 400 square per gallon.

After two years I take the color off .

James, I'm usually doing a recoat/maintenance coat at the 18-24 month mark - is this considered a 'maintenance coat'? I usually wash with a 2% bleach & soap which removes probably 80%-90% of the color since the Armstrong Clark comes off very easily. I could tell there is oil in the wood still but I wonder about whether I'm supposed to be taking so much off.