Sign in to follow this  
desi

hot boxes

What do you guys recommend for hot boxes, diesel or propane? Is it true I will need to start the hot box with a generator? Ideally, a unit that is on wheels would be great.

thanks

I have a northern tool Hotbox (Diesel, Kerosene or Fuel oul) I burn Kerosene because it butns cleaner, cost under a grand and works excellent. I invested in a larger generator than I needed (8500 Watts) so I can run my house in the winter if the Power goes out.

With a propane burner, you don't need an external power source...just light the pilot and go. Fuel is difficult to source after hours, though. There are plenty of 24 hour gas stations that carry fuel oil (diesel or kerosene). A propane burner will require 2 bottles siamesed together or a horizontally mounted tank for a substantial heat rise. Forklift bottles work quite well and are fairly easy to change out if you run out of fuel. I don't know why everyone wants to run out and buy a generator. You've got a vehicle with a charging system. Buy a voltage converter and run a cord back to the trailer.

Russ,

Maybe for small odd-n-end tasks a voltage converter fits the bill, but for heavy amp drawing applications, I don't think so.

Some guys work at night, and may need several 1000k watt lights. Others, like me, use a sprayer for certain applications, and find it more conveniant to bring your power source to the work area, rather than having to use very long lengths of extension cord. For example, I've had to do some fences that were several hundred feet long. I would not want to have 300' of cord stretched out, plus the voltage drop may get too severe. Truthfully I only carry about 150' of cord anyway, and if I needed significantly more, I would have known that and just loaded my generator.

We have a fuel oil (diesel/kerosene) fired unit.

It works quite well, and fuel is readily available. Agreed, propane is mostly available, but having spare room for extra tanks and finding it after hours or on weekends seems to be more hassle than it would be worth. Propane and diesel are about the same price here per gallon, but from what I have read it takes more fuel to get the same heat rise from propane, all else being equal.(I might be wrong, but it is what I have seen)

We use a portable generator to supply 110v and have spare receptacles to power other items (lights, power tools, etc) as needed.