Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Any experience with Hardiplank?

Question

Anybody had experience with Hardiplank siding? Either that you have owned or serviced? I was curious about the propensity for mold/mildew growth, ease of keeping clean, etc. Amanda (wife) and I think we have finally found a house to buy and it has this type of siding on it. Just curious about what's in store for the future. Somehow my own property always gets neglected when it comes to cleaning...I'm so quick to run out and do others!!!

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan

9 answers to this question

Ryan,

My neighbor installed H/P on his house about a year ago and so far it has not been maintained at all. Not even painted..

Aside from the fact that he needs the dirt washed off (he's too cheap to pay me, but still a helluva nice guy) that got on it during the installation phase, there is nothing to note.

No growth of any kind, no leaks, no loose siding, or any problems normally associated with vinyl or masonite.

Aside from needing paint every once in awhile, I am of the opinion that H/P is a good choice for siding. Our proximity (Covington & Hampton) tells me that you would experience similar happy results.

Cujo

Hardy Plank I see it all the time it's great stuff.It will last forever being made out of concrete.

You will get mildew growing on it over time as the paint breaks down.

Well, Amanda (wife) and I put a contract on a home today...willl be either stone or brick (haven't decided yet) front/accents and will have hardiplank sides. I will be doing quite a bit of extra things to the house, like painting/sealing the garage with an epoxy finish, staining the deck (BETH....you'll hear from me before too terribly long!!) maybe a two tone, and some other little goodies.

Congrats Ryan.....I know you all have been looking & contemplating for awhile, signing the contract is a huge step in the progress!!!!!

We've washed two houses with Hardi-Plank. The first one was over 10 years old and had your standard age dirt, some mildew and came clean easily with our house wash mix. The second one we cleaned was new construction - we were there to take care of the brick front not really do any more than just rinse the construction dirt off of the new. (It was being put on a new $300K+ home). It seems to be quite resiliant - in speaking with builders, it seems to be a good product.

Best wishes for you & Amanda and your new investment!

Celeste

Ryan

Congrats. Are you residing or is the H/P already installed? If you're going with new siding check into the factory pre-finished in the color of your choice. It has a 15yr. garantee and they can even color match the needed caulk from the same batch of color.

Good luck and have fun.

We are building in a new neighborhood. Got to pick out the lot (best one in the entire hood as far as we're concerned) and make some minor changes to the house plans. Also get to choose colors, but the hardiplank is standard on the sides. From what I've seen, it comes in a basic cement-gray, looks sort of like bondo. I'll ask about the pre-finished color. The builders want a tonne of money (that's a little more than a ton :) ) to extend the deck, so they are going to attach the anchor bolts and fastening board to the house as they put up the siding so I can do with it what I want when I'm ready to build the deck. Amanda has a double-decker in mind...I don't know if that'll be feasible or not. But, atleast this will give me some latitude to do some really cool designs.