larimoreserv

Finding good employees and motivating the one's you already have!

Question

I have been in business for almost 15 years and am fortunate to have a great book of business that I have worked very hard to build. My biggest problem is keeping my employees motivated and getting them, honestly, to show up for work at all. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what have you done to rectify this?

10 answers to this question

Tap the Spanish market. Look for hard working "Legal" people who are looking for a job. I've fired at least 20 guys before I started to go to the Spanish route. I got a few bums at first that didn't work out. Eventually I got to my star guy who was let go from a Landscape company because he was making to much money. They fired him & 4 other guys who worked for this landscape co. for 10yrs because they were at the top of the pay scale.

He was out of work for just one day when I found out about him. I signed him up immiedetly and then a few months later he got me another star employee. My main guy eventually won a lawsuit for $37,000 against his last company.

Today my 2 guys get paid well, work year round for my company and there both El Salvadorian who are both legally in this country and they pay their taxes.

In 9 yrs they not once have been late or didn't show up. There so good they also collect most of my residential money.

These guys are gold and they make my life sweet. There super motivated because of what there life is like. These guys are hungry and they should be considered for any labor intensive job because they take this livelihood very serious. I am Succesful because of them and we work my business like a well oiled machine day in and day out.

If you go this route make sure their legals first:)

Thanks for the suggestion. My wife does all of the interviewing for my company so I will pass this on to her. Man, it would be great to find 2 good workers like that. My life would be so much easier! My wife keeps the books too so, no chance someone illegal working for us.

My wife does all the books also. We have a payroll service that takes out the taxes etc for the guys checks. We also have Workers Comp which is a killer because they are hitting me up @31.4% of payroll. I'm going to contest that next month.

I will add this.... The most valuable assets to my company is my employees in particular these 2 guys.

My wife does all the books also. We have a payroll service that takes out the taxes etc for the guys checks. We also have Workers Comp which is a killer because they are hitting me up @31.4% of payroll. I'm going to contest that next month.

I will add this.... The most valuable assets to my company is my employees in particular these 2 guys.

Where is your business located and do you do KEC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

We have a payroll service as well but my wife is taking that over in the next quarter. I pay $225 a month to my payroll company and she can do it with quickbooks for $28 a month. Do you use QuickBooks for your company. Just something to think about. 

We were also paying through the nose for our Workers Comp and requested and audit. They were basing it on a ridiculous amount. It should go down a lot now that we finished the audit.

The problem I have with workers comp was on the audits. We clean commercial buildings such as a few movie theaters.. Because of this I have to pay 31.4% of payroll. I hate it but chalk it up as the cost of doing business. Also god forbid if one of my guys get hurt, they'll be compensated accordingly.

We have a payroll service as well but my wife is taking that over in the next quarter. I pay $225 a month to my payroll company and she can do it with quickbooks for $28 a month. Do you use QuickBooks for your company. Just something to think about. 

We were also paying through the nose for our Workers Comp and requested and audit. They were basing it on a ridiculous amount. It should go down a lot now that we finished the audit.

Hey John-- we use Paychex and because of my PWRA discount we get I believe up to 10 employees for $39/month for all. Paychex figures everything out and then sends us the paystubs via email. All my wife has to do is sign the checks-- Done;)