Sign in to follow this  
LSAdams

What could be wrong??

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with my Shark 353037.

The other night, We were out doing a hood clean and from the roof top, I saw a glow. Of course I panicked and quickly made it over to look down upon my machine. What I saw made me quickly shut down my machine and call for my other Shark. I saw fire coming out of the stack probably about a foot or so accompanied by a ton of black smoke. 

The next morning, I called and had a mechanic come out and check out my machine. He told me that the transformer was bad and so, I had his not only replace the transformer but, the electrodes as well. I ordered another insulation pkg as well fearing that it could be soaked with diesel as well. 

Now, I used to take the machine in for a monthly service but, that mechanic has retired and quite frankly I'm glad he did. When the mechanic that came out went to replace the electrodes, The burner was covered in soot and lots of it. This leads me to believe that the burner hasn't been service in all the time I took it to the original mechanic. 

The new mechanic got my machine going again and the water gets a lot hotter than it did before. Now, The machine still puts out tons of black smoke ( enough that when The burners on, I can't see across the street) and fires still coming out of the stack at least a foot. Tomorrow, I plan on pulling the coil and cleaning that and installing the new insulation. 

Do you think that I just need to adjust the air band? It almost all the way open now. Or do you have any ideas on what else it could be? Any thing helps. We have some big jobs coming and I really need to get the machine going again as soon as possible...

Thanks for reading.

Larry

We have the same exact machine. We've had a few probs like that to. Try the airband like u said and I'll think about it today and if it doesn't work let me know. Pm me if u want

Its eather air or fuel. My unit has the fuel tank near the burner area and the tank was cracked at the mount clips which leaked especially it warmer weather. So removed tank cleaned it up welded it back together. Big thing learn your machine dont trust others on your lively hood. I service everything myself since I started. A pressure washer is pretty eazy to work on as well and the main office for your brand machine has techs that will walk you through little snaggs. Anyhow check for fuel leak.

Marko

Thanks Guys!

I Did find a fuel leak located at the pet **** of the fuel filter. I'm going to put a new filter on today. while I'm at it, I'll replace the fuel lines and clean out the fuel tank. I called Shark and you were right! They were very helpful and said the same thing you did. Air leak or air bands. I'm glad I got on this forum!! Thanks for the Advice and Thanks Beth and Rod for getting it going.... Very Helpful!!

Larry

Okay here's the update on progress. I leak that I though was on the petcock wasn't a leak there. I pulled the filter and replaced the filter ( Racor r12t) and the fuel was back in the same spot. I started looking above and found a leak at the fitting that goes into the filter. That was quickly repaired using teflon tape. I fired the machine up and still had the smoke and fire. Marko is right, I need to learn my machine so, I investigated a little further.. I came to the conclusion that the black smoke and fire is the insulation burning. I knew that it was soaked with diesel and was expecting that. I already have the part. So, since I work tomorrow, I'm going to leave the machine alone until Wednesday and replace the insulation and clean the coil then. I'll clean the coil both inside and out. I'll also change all the fluids then. I'm wondering....... We added an additive to the diesel fuel that is supposed to clean soot. Could that contribute to the rise in flame as well? I played a bit with the airband and did notice that the smoke thinned out a little. I'm going to try adjusting that again after I perform the services. 

Sounds to me like the mixture of diesel to air is wrong. Way too much diesel or not enough air. 

I now replace my burner nozzles every year because they wear our and start spraying more fuel as they wear.

I would start by checking the fuel pressure, it should be set 120-150 psi for best atomization. After that open your airbands up until the smoke clears up. if you can't clean up the smoke then you have too much fuel. I have backed fuel pressure down to 100 psi, but don't recommend going any lower. You're better off swapping in a smaller nozzle.

Here the update, As of now, I replaced the transformer and electrodes, cleaned the coil. replaced the insulation, Repaired the small fuel leak that I found, and replaced the complete fuel filter assembly. ( I kept all the parts) I played a bit with the air band but, Still she smokes and blows fire like a mad dragon.. LOL! I talked to the shark service tech and was told that at that point it was either the fuel nozzle or possibly the voltage regulator. So, Me being me I ordered them alland a new fuel pump. It's pumping but, I read that the fuel pump has a filter inside it. After all this, Basically I got a new machine. If the problem isn't there, It in the little 11hp honda that runs it. I sure hope it isn't the engine. 

Is this a vertical stack?   Since you found a fuel leak, and replaced the insulation, I would have thought you had it fixed. I had a similar problem with a vertical stack.  There was a baffle at the bottom of the stack. The purpose of the baffle was to make sure the flame was diverted through the entire coil.  The welds broke on the baffle plate.  Driving down the road, the baffle would move.  Sometimes the plate would be in the right place to divert the flame and sometimes the plate would smother the flame and prevent full combustion.  Then the plate would shift again and allow air and fuel to mix properly and then the flame would ignite the all the unburnt fuel and flame would exit the stack.  Then we had plenty of hot water. 

After having a new plate welded into place, and replacing the oil soaked insulation, everything was good. 

Like said before we have same machine. There is no baffle down there and it's not your engine. U can clean the fuel pump filter easily just take off four hex bolts and there it is. Just b sure u shut off ht e diesel valve. Do u have a pressure gauge on the fuel pump? Have u looked at yur fuel nozzle?

Problem Solved!!! Ready for this? It turned out to be that my fuel pump pressure was way too high! The pump was set for well above 200 psi. I called and got the specs and turned it down. since I did everything else, I decided to go through the pump and replace all the seals. I also replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier with a brand new one. I went over all my wiring and found one that had worn through from rubbing. All in all, My Shark is back! Better than I remember. LoL! Good thing to! We now have 14 Burger Kings to clean starting tomorrow night as well as being " On- Call" for our county fair. The fire marshall is inspecting the concession trailer before they come into the fairgrounds and if they don't pass, He's making them clean before they're allowed to enter to setup. Thanks Guys for helping so much!