Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Hoping to do this only once.

Questions for the experts.  I have some very long and steep stairs made out of pressure treated that were installed about 5 years ago and abandoned.  They have never been treated at all and are full of mold, leaves and dirt etc.  The stairs go into a clean lake and out onto a dock.  I am the new owner and want to clean them and apply the product that will preserve the wood for the longest time. I do not care about color, transparency or looks.  My goal is just preserve the wood with a super coating, so as not to replace for a long time.  My plan for now is a one time thing just to give them the longest life possible.  Something penetrating with little film coating.  Ideas were either 50% thinned oil porch paint, Ready Seal, semi or solid oil stain or..?   

I was thinking of using a box of Oxy Clean, hand scrubbing and lake water for cleaning.  Whatever cleaner is used will go straight down the bluff into the lake so it HAS TO BE SAFE and biodegradable.  It is a very small clean lake and we want to keep it that way.

The stairs are very close to the ground, so no way to do the underside.  This will just be end grains and tops.

Any recommendations on cleaners and coatings?  I will try and upload a pic.

Thanks for your suggestions!

post-5664-0-94558000-1403131784_thumb.jp

post-5664-0-68714300-1403131821_thumb.jp

post-5664-0-21307400-1403131846_thumb.jp

I'm no wood expert, but you've come to the right place.

I think your expectations may be a bit high. There is no "Super Coating", the secret here is proper cleaning, quality stain, and then maintaining there after.

Because you have heavy shading, close to the ground, and near water.......there is no stain and forget out there.

I will let the experts chime in......Good Luck!

The only way to never have to worry about a coating again, is to rebuild it with composite. Otherwise, forget it. There IS no maintenance free ANYTHING.

Clean it and seal it with whatever you like. Personally, on those I would put down an acrylic.

Beth

Why Acrylic Beth? And what type? I understand there is nothing maintenance free.  I was just thinking about giving it a few coatings in it's lifespan to postpone rotting.   Looking to get 30 years before it rots.  If it means every 5 years I re-do, I am okay with that.

Thanks!