Sign in to follow this  
PATZPW

Hanging Chimney

I had recently bought an older house and in the family room was a wood burning stove. We removed the stove to open up the room, it looks nice except the remaining chimney sticking down out of the ceiling. Before i start cutting stuff i would like some help. Does the chimney come in sections? and how long are they? How do they come apart?

If I understand correctly, you have metal chimney. The part that was visible in your house was probably single wall pipe. The part in your attack will be triple wall pipe for insulation purposes, Yes this pipe is usually in sections and you should be able to dismantle it in the attic. I would make sure I secure the remaining part of chimney in the attic and seal the bottom and top of the remaining chimney. You don't want water and or critters entering your chimney and ending up in your attic. If you have a fairly new roof, I would remove it all, but if the roof is over 10 years old, I would wait until I replace the roof before removing the part coming through the roof.

John

We Had The Roof Done And The Top Part Of The Chimney Was Covered Over. If I Cut A Hole In The Ceiling ( Which It Looks It Was Already Done For The Install) How Big Of A Section Can I Expect To Pull Out. In Theory The Chimney Should Have Some Kind Of Support In The Attica, Correct.

Cut a square in the ceiling to the middle of the rafters, and add two crossmembers out of a 2x4 to make a box. This will allow for easier installaton of a piece of sheet rock to fill the hole. The triple wall pipe that is in your attic can be any where from usually 2' to 4' sections. You should find a few sheet metal screws holding the sections together. You may, and probably should already have a box built around where the chimney enters the attic which was for support, and this may be a perfect nailer for your new sheet rock.

Hope this helps,

John :taz:

I would suggest talking to a chimney prof. about your situation. Alot of codes and regulations.

Charlie

He is taking the chimney down, and covering the hole with sheet rock. You may be mistaken, this was a prefab metal chimney, and not a masonary chimney with a footer. He should be just fine with the path he is on.

John

Well I Finally Got To It After 2 Months, I Beat The Cradle That Held It Up And It Slid Down To The Floor, And Then I Cut It In Half. Don't Misunderstand Me It Took About 2 1/2 Hours Of Head Scratching. Thanks For Your Help.

You are welcome. Nothing wrong with pre-planning a job before jumping right in. No matter what, you will always have surprises, you just try to keep them to a minimum.