Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

General Business Practices.

Question

For lack of finding a better place, I'll post this one right here:

One thing that I have noticed frequently is the level of communication between contractors and the customer. This starts at the estimate and goes all the way til the follow-up call (or lack of it) after the job completion.

But just to focus on one portion of it (a key section for your business and profitability) is the initial contact and the actual review of the work for the estimate.

When a customer calls do you ask enough details?

Who, What, When, Where, Why and How?

Is it a one story or 2 story house?

When was the last time it was cleaned?

Was the surface sealed with anything and when?

Do you have mold and mildew or other stains?

Are there any special areas that are of concern to you (customer)?

Do you have water spigot available outside?

Where did you hear about our company?

Can I schedule the job for next week? (ask for the job.)

...and of course the list goes on and on.

If the questioning does not come naturally, you should have a list until the questions come naturally. I always keep a checklist with me and take notes. A recorder is often handy to make notes while driving.

The lack of probative question reminds me of the favorite line in a Pink Panther movie and it goes like this:

Inspector Clusoe after seeing the dog next to the man he's expression tells you he's unsure of the dogs intentions and proceeds to ask the man: "Does your dog bite?"

"No!" answers the man.

A quick nip at Clusoe and growl by the dog is followed by a puzzled look and he states in pain: "I thought you said your dog did not bite!"

The man answers: "This is NOT my dog!"

The moral to this is: without asking enough probative questions, you may not get the answer you were seeking. Listen carefully, observe, take notes and adjust methodology by applying the learnings.

1 answer to this question

My wife answers the phone 90% of the time, filling out a "call sheet" as she goes. Info like directions, mailing address, email, etc. You'd be surprised at the info folks WILL give if you act like its a matter of fact, (and it is). If I notice something that we seem to be missing that wuld be helpful, I tell her, and she updates the new call sheets.

One thing I am interested in is "firewalling" ie making sure jobs don't enter the business that will not be right for us.

Usually that simply means discarding the wrong customers more than the wrong job, thats easier to spot.

More on this in another thread.....