Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Johnson

Cleaning an Old Brick Bank... Please Help

Question

I have to clean a fairly old brick bank, The banks maintenance company pulled off a lot of vines (Ivy). On the brick there is still small pieces of vines 4-5 inches with some soiling. The question I have is this... what is the best pressure to use, Any special tip, and any special detergent?

I will be able to get close to the building, I am renting a 45 foot articulating boom lift.

2 answers to this question

Mathew,

You may find that using chlorine on the building will help in getting the last of the vines.The chlorine will help break down the fibers in the vines making them easier to wash away.

Then if needed you can use whatever brick restoration chemical you want.I know NMD-80 from Eacochem is highly recommended by Roger & Celeste of Carolina Pro Wash.Give Roger a call he can give you the low down on what the Eacochem products will do.

i have not found a (cleaning)chem that will kill weeds or the roots of ivy\vines...perhaps yiu need a longgg dwell time.....i have a zero tip at a 45 degree angle on the brick also found a wire brush very handy and also a propane gas burner(paint).....look at the job and weigh up how long you think it will take you knowing its going to be tough......right got a time in your head....double it.....dont loose money on it