Sign in to follow this  
jsavoy

Place to buy chemicals

I found this place while surfing the net. They sell sodium hypochlorite 10% and Oxalic Acid. For those of us who can't get it locally.

http://www.brainerdchemical.com/BrainerdChemical/Catalog.asp

They have the 12.5% too for the same price..... as I was checking it out, they want a $20.00 drum deposit too...comes out to $58 for 15 gallons ($3.88 gallon)..... not counting the shipping yet......??? ACE up here has 10% for about $3 gallon...... I need to find an IN with a pool place up here, even then I think they'll only have the 10%....... what to do? what to do?

Mike,

Buying chems remains one of my frustrations. Shipping costs add up fast, and the only way to reduce the sting of freight charges is to buy in larger quantities, because when looking at freight charges, the more freight you have, the lower the price per pound attributed to shipping.

In other words, and this is just an example: It might cost $25 to ship 100 pounds of material for 1000 miles. It might cost $60 to ship 500 pounds for 1000 miles. So it then pays to order larger quantities of chemical.

Easier said then done. I have somewhat limited storage, so it is harder for me to order and store several pallets of different chems. Not to mention how much $$ it takes to buy by the pallet.

tony, storage is a problem here too, not to mention the currency to load up on everything.....i cant see myself paying shipping on liquid pool chlorine, drum deposits, etc...I NEED to find a pool guy locally here for at least the 10%...Im not sure if we can even get 12.5% here ..... I used the single gallon jugs of 10% from ACE last year and it worked fine.... the local retail megastores dont sell the liquid....only the dry crystal pool shock.....

Try calling your local YMCA and ask who they buy their pool chems from. They are most likely local.

Last year, my cost on 12.5 went from $1.25/gal to $2.50/gal. I have heard that it will be going up again. 15 gal barrels are almost too heavy to move - I use a small 4 wheeled cart and a plastic rotary pump from Northern Tool to transfer.

Mike,

Try Kmart or Walmart, or even local hardware stores during pool season. I get 10.25% for around $2/gal in plastic disposable jugs.

Tried that last year...walmart, menards, home depot etc etc.....powder and crystal stuff only......ACE was the only place I could find 10% liquid (and it was $3 a gallon)..... We have a couple of pool joints around, gotta go make friends !!!!!

Same here with Walmat home depot lowes. I haven't found anyplace that sells 10% liquid. Even talked to the two pool supply stores here they don't carry sodium hypoclorite use the tabs, crystals, powder. Best I can get is the 5 - 6% at Wally world