Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Fall protection gear

We are looking into more gear this year (sorry about the phonetics) and would like to ask those who use this type of gear where they like to purchase and what works best for their operation.

The harnesses and fall arrestors or limiters are so different from each other that it is hard to tell what would work best.

We are going to be using it mainly for log home restoration work and are looking for some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Rod~

Petzl Grigri Belay Device

$77.00 Item 471023 :

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=977&parent_category_rn=4500695&vcat=REI_SEARCH

I've been very satisfied with this. Used with a body harness and quality rope, it provides excellent hands-free fall protection. I tested it out by jumping off the porch and it grabbed with no problem. You can rappel with it once your fall has been broken. Choose rope with decent elasticity to prevent your back from being snapped if you do take a long tumble....the guy where I bought everything said he's taken falls as far as 50' (mountain climber) and hasn't had any problem with it safely stopping his fall at the end.

As for harness, a basic one will work just fine if worn properly.

I think the rope I bought was around 10mm and made to function well when wet.

I thank you for your responses. The prices are certainly lower than the catalogs I have been looking in recently. DC direct safety has these listed for 40-60% higher than the sites submitted by Don and Ryan.

Networking helps.

Rod~