Sign in to follow this  
Tim Smith

Neutralize - HD-80

Question

does HD-80 always have to be neutralize?

I strip this deck with HD-80 and I always neutralize with oxalic acid, but

my customer wants me to use a latex outdoor stain (sherman Williams) - Coupenal (mispelled).

So there is no need to brighten the wood, but will the HD-80 harm the sealant.

I know that with Ready Seal - when using HDd-80, you need to neutralize real good.

14 answers to this question

i always neutralize for the purpose of making sure all stripper and detrgent is gone completly i think it would be in your best interest so you dont get a call back for stain,latex failing in certain areas of the deck next season.i use oxalic

Don't forget the brightening aspect. Cedar for example, darkens when a caustic is applied. Aside from the neutralizing, I think the brightening is just as important.

Johnny

I love the x-jet - its awesome with washing houses - I use it all the time, but

I just can't bring myself to spray Oxalic Acid on a deck with an x-jet.

Overspray - Oxalic Acid is not something you want all over a home.

I know - rinse very well before spraying - it will still damage over time.

Guys

Using x-jet has eliminated my need for buying pump up sprayers,i used to spend a fortune on those.

#1 I only use citric,spray all over the place no problem

#2 I use close range attachment,no overspray

I can't see myself brightening with a pump up of shurflo

As far as caustics i apply those too to the deck with a close range,learned it from Steven Rowlett,ask him

Johny

I'm kind of in the same boat as some of the other folks - even though I'm a safety nut - my X-Jet close-up attachment has a very controlled spray pattern (not in windy conditions of course). The only drawback is the 1:3.2 dilution in some cases (I need to fix that and get it to 1:1.6 ratio).

We spray neutralizer/ brightener without any issues (so far) but have refrained from spraying strippers. We also use it to spray cleaner and brightener on concrete. The wind is a problem, but it's a problem with a pump-up or a Shur-flo also.

It depends on the product.

I just purchased a bunch of shelf closing Wolman brighteners at $1.97 per 2.25# (normally sells for $14.99). How much could I waste in $$$ ? However, I wouldn't use it with the Prosoco EK Masonry Cleaner at $130 plus per 5 gallons at 75-150 sq ft per gallon.

You have to choose your weapon properly. If you only have 1 tool it's not much of a choice. Unlike in large industry, I teach people to think and learn instead of making everything idiot proof.

Beth,

No the close-up is not adjustable, but it's a 1/4" meg nozzle like the ones on a surface cleaner except large opening (4030). You could increase or decrease the hole diameter which would change the draw rate. You could go to a 4015 which would maintain your draw rate and reduce your pattern width.

Unless the adjustable nozzle was calibrated with stops it would be difficult to know what your draw ratio was at any given time. They do make fixed stop, adjustable injectors that could be made to work with some modifications.

We use an extension wand with the X-Jet at times (hard to reach places), then for better control near large louvers we will attach the close-up attchment (keeps chemicals and water out of the attic).

Like i said i use citric ,no safety issues,no harm to property.No wasted chemical,i mix 20 oz per gal,2 -3 gallons brighten average size deck,could be much less,i just like to neutralize the heck out of it and make sure nothing is missed.5 Minutes or 30 make a big difference to me,i like to wash 2-3 houses a day and still have time for estimates

Johny