Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

no time

Question

Hey all, not to long till I getted started part time. I will start with my own house, and deck. Then I will be doing in laws house and deck, then brother in laws roof. I will be doing these just for the price of the chems (I need practice). But I already have friends or at least people I know wanting my services but also wanting "a good deal". My question is how many freebies or good deals do I give before I start losing my arse? I know I need practice and experience but how do I handle these people that know me and know I'm just getting started that want a bargain wash? It kinda makes me angry. I mean they know I'm just starting out but they have the nerve to ask for a "good deal". How do they think I'm going to survive? Anyway what did some of you do?

8 answers to this question

First of all, you need to explain to your "buddies" that want something for cheap, that you're not in business to do discount work. You have costs to pay, chemicals, INSURANCE, taxes, etc... that dictate that you don't work for free. Don't set yourself up to be on a "learning curve" to the general public right out of the gate or you're going to become a lowballer in your area and that's not what you want, I'm sure.

Celeste

Your right there Celeste, I do not want to be a lowballer. I never thought of it that way. But I know if I'm not going to cut them a deal they won't hire me. They just can't afford it. My first thought is I need the practice. But I also know I have a lot invested already including 5 months of research and networking. I don't want to work for nothing no matter who it is. I'm just starting to get the word out to everyone, and I think most of them think I just came up with this scheme overnight to make some extra cash, they don't know how serious I am and how much is involved in starting a business.

Hey Barry, glad to see things are coming along with you up there. Theres nothing wrong with discounting to your family in order to get more practice and get comfortable with what your doing. I clean an elder family members gutters at no charge because I know they cant climb a ladder, even though I usally get some cash shoved in my pocket by the time I'm leaving. That being said.... what you dont want to do is get in a habit of doing it alot. What will happen is EVERYONE will expect the same deal you gave the other guy and that makes it hard to make a living. I would say to go ahead and discount your first couple practice jobs, but let them know that you are discounting the price for a reason and not to expect the same price in the future. Dont get caught in the "hey can you do me a favor" trap. Afterall, you do have bills to pay.

You know how to reach me if you have any questions :)

Good Luck!

for friends, family and neighbors, you could do some work for a lesser rate, such as "cost of chems, and a little extra" to cover overhead.....it will get the word out that you are in business, people will see your work, see you working, which hopefully leads to full price jobs down the road...

if a family member of yours owned a car dealership, you'd like to be able to get a sweet deal on a car as opposed to a regular, unknown customer walking in... the dealership won't loose money to make you happy, but they'd make you a nice deal...... so make these friends-family a nice deal, but don't lose money doing it!

just my humble .02

.........how many freebies or good deals do I give before I start losing my arse? ........

Barry, here is how I look at things:

If you ask me to help you dig a pool, I'm there. If you ask me to help you move, I'm there. If you wish to hire the services of my company then you are no different then anyone else, and you pay just the same.

I pay my way through life and have never taken advantage, or abused, anyone that I may know, who might be in the business of providing a service for which I'm in the market for.

We don't work for my neighbors and we don't work in the immediate sub-community that I live in (unless we are subcontracted by another company.........painter, GC, etc.) I also don't work for family (except my very immediate).

This company was built on a lot of time invested, a lot of aggrevation, sweat, trials and errors and very hard work. It is what puts food on my table, a roof over my head and clothes on my back. For these reasons I don't low-ball, we don't barter and we don't work for free.

Anyone asking for a 'good deal' is told that for the services which they are about to receive, the price IS a good deal. Anyone that may say that they know someone who will do it for $20 cheaper is told "Then you need to call them instead".

Adopt this ideology and, in my opinion, your life will be a lot simpler.

Having said all this.........if you still wish to be a 'nice guy' then let me say that the least you MUST do is cover all your costs..............fuel, chems, wear and tare on machines............donate your time and labor only!!

(I'm sure that if you go this route you will get fed up very quickly)

Barry, since you will probably do it at a great price for family and friends, make sure they are quoted your regular price, too. This way they know what a great friend you are. Most likely they will have nosy neighbors (who will be watching you while you work). So, make sure you do it on a weekend (you want that exposure). The neighbors will see what a great job you do, and your friends will be able to give them your regular price (and not your family/friend discounted price) when they ask. Yes, most people think nothing of asking how much someone paid for their job. Also, make sure you have yard signs to leave up for a week. This is a great way that your friends and family can thank you for the great job and their discounted price. Make sure you leave plenty of business cards with your family and freinds, too.

Enjoy

Marino Ortega

ReflectiveClean@aol.com