Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

New equipment (sort of)

Found a good deal (I hope) on a PW today...3000 psi 5.5 gpm 2yrs old. Cranked up and sounds nice. Has moderate rust on the frame and gas tank but motor and pump look really good. K7 unloader. Belts look new. I'll either have to clean out or replace the gas tank as it has some rust inside. Other than that it seems pretty good. Gave $650 for it.

Good deal? Bad deal? I'm curious what other's think.

I've got two jobs for this weekend that will pay for this thing so atleast I won't be sitting in debt with it. I can't wait to crank it up and see what it's got for a big job. Hopefully it'll make my 30" surface cleaner work a little better than the old 4gpm.

post-334-137772141055_thumb.jpg

To me, that looks like a rig that's lived a hard life. Due to questionable maintenance history, I'd be concerned. The Briggs engine is not the best choice.

Just my .02, because you asked.

Tony,

I appreciate the scrutiny. I was a little concerned after seeing the condition. I'll be powering it up this evening for some better tests. He did say that it was run hard but that the maintenance on it is good (I saw his shop setup....he knew what he was talking about on maintenance). From what he's telling me the ceramic plungers are new and the head has been rebuilt. Hopefully it's not a lemon.

I agree with Tony, For a two year old machine it looks like it was run hard and put away wet.

It looks used and abused to me.

I would make the purchase contingent on the weekend performance you have planned.

I know you are anxious but I would proceed with caution. Seems like I have been hearing of a lot of Briggs motors throwing rods in the last year.

My briggs was new in 1999 and has been performing outstanding for me. I would say briggs or Hondas are the way to go. But to each his own.

I do agree that the washer does look like it has been run hard and put away wet. Personally I would look elsewhere.

Just my 2 meager pennies.

Richard

Well, I ran it today for quite awhile. It pulls very well and puts out fantastically. My surface cleaner never ran so well. Quoted two jobs today that will pay for the machine easily and I'll be able to knock both out in the same day now that the cleaner will work properly.

glad to hear the beast ran well.....guess you "can't always judge a book by its cover" eh?

thats what we used to call a "sleeper" back in my youthful gearhead days...

friend of mine had an absolute dog looking LeMans......nothing to look at, even had hubcaps...(which hid the screws holding the slicks to the rims)... fastest street 1/4 miler Ive ever seen.....its all in the guts.....

hope that bad boy pw'er runs forever Ryan !!!

Degraffreed,

I had the HD special 3600psi 4gpm. Made lots of money off it and did some fantastic jobs, but if I had known how much better the 5.5 gpm was (and belt drive for better suction and draw), I would have done it LONG ago.

thats what we used to call a "sleeper" back in my youthful gearhead days...

friend of mine had an absolute dog looking LeMans......nothing to look at, even had hubcaps...(which hid the screws holding the slicks to the rims)... fastest street 1/4 miler Ive ever seen.....its all in the guts.....

So is it true that the 'sleepers' slide under police observation, or do most of us suffer from wishful thinking? Maybe the slicks are giveaways....:)

So is it true that the 'sleepers' slide under police observation, or do most of us suffer from wishful thinking? Maybe the slicks are giveaways....:)

tony, believe it or not, most of us could care less.....the more BS flash and super loud euro crap cars these kids drive today will get 10X the attention then a nice classic type muscle car.........even with slicks (even though thats a big no-no).........its the attitude of the driver and the attitude of the copper that dictates whether there is gonna be a problem