Sign in to follow this  
JimCrossley

Spray bottle for staining stiles on decks?

Question

I thought I remembered Beth one evening at a wood chat mentioning that a hand held spray bottle is used by a number of people. We use our Decker for the inside stiles right now. But the outside stiles, we like to work between the stiles from the inside. Is there one type that is better than others? A small Hudson, pump up first and then spray for a while; or a squeeze as you go bottle. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Jim

30 answers to this question

Regarding clean-up, remember if you clean up with water in a shurflo or airless, you are prone to rust if it sits long at all. Even if I am cleaning out with soapy water after using waterbase, once clean I still run through a dab of thinner to keep the internals from rusting. VERY important for the airless, which is not expendable like a shurflo.

Tony, you might just keep an extra hose around for spraying latex, and change out when necessary. I really doubt, if you are like me, that latex makes up more than 10% of your work, so you wouldn't be changing out often. But very small amounts of latex can dry inside the hose, and your oilbase could cause it to loosen, making one miserable day of staining:) Also, if you ever spray a paint stripper, like BTN or Removall or Peel Away, make sure to have a totally separate airless hose for that as well. Yes, it also strips the latex in the hose as well. Hey, and if you ever use these strippers, don't forget to spray them on your airless, and when cleaning out the stripper with water, spray off the machine, will look as good as new:)

Tony

I think it was just the O-ring swoll up cause it was about 1/2" to big and didn't want to prime.Changed the o-ring and back in service :cool:

My cleaning pumps only get water run thru them and they run like champs.

It's only my staining pumps that give me problems but they also get a workout on the 100 gal fence jobs.

I will start trying the degreaser and see if that helps me out also thanks for the tip Rod. :cool:

Those are some really good tips, thanks Jon! You're right, I don't spray much latex, maybe twice a year, but when I have to, the airless is invaluable. Do you suppose q/c could be attached to make it easier to switch out hoses?

I've never used any of the strippers you mentioned, at least not yet, and hopefully never, because I usually don't even bother with jobs that may require the hardcore stripping agents. There are enough "good" jobs that I let the crappy ones go to some other poor fool. I can imagine that you need those strippers more often to do log home restoration, and with the amount of money on the table for those jobs, I can see why.