Sign in to follow this  
JimCrossley

Spray bottle for staining stiles on decks?

Question

I thought I remembered Beth one evening at a wood chat mentioning that a hand held spray bottle is used by a number of people. We use our Decker for the inside stiles right now. But the outside stiles, we like to work between the stiles from the inside. Is there one type that is better than others? A small Hudson, pump up first and then spray for a while; or a squeeze as you go bottle. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Jim

30 answers to this question

The spray bottle is great for small areas where you dont want a great deal of over spray and light application w/o the runs...like lattice and the underside of the handrails where you have a tight area to work in, also, the corners and tight spots.

Rod~

Is there one type that is better than others? A small Hudson, pump up first and then spray for a while; or a squeeze as you go bottle. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Jim

Rod,

Do you have any suggestions as to what you all prefer?

Also, the contractor pack you can get at HD work very well. They have a small plastic screen on the bottom of the take-up tube to keep large particles out of the spray gun.

reed

I have one I have been using for 2 seasons, but I have had one last half a season. For a contractors pack, the cost is under 10.00. Economical, yes?

reed

I guess I expected they went kaput much faster than that. Figured the seals and pumping mechanism would deteriorate more rapidly. In fact, I was thinking the paint thinner to clean them would also deteriorate those parts.

I guess I expected they went kaput much faster than that. Figured the seals and pumping mechanism would deteriorate more rapidly. In fact, I was thinking the paint thinner to clean them would also deteriorate those parts.

speaking of paint thinner, what does it do to the inside of a shurflo ? and how safe is it to run it thru them ? seeing how it says "do not pump flamable liquid". if that is bad, how do we clean the pump after spraying sealer? always used pump ups before, no real issues there.....

speaking of paint thinner, what does it do to the inside of a shurflo ? and how safe is it to run it thru them ? seeing how it says "do not pump flamable liquid". if that is bad, how do we clean the pump after spraying sealer? always used pump ups before, no real issues there.....

Michael

I'll clean my shur-flo's with soapy water solution "Dawn" run about 2-3 gallons or so thru them.I'm using oil an oil base stain so anything to help cut the oily residue.

Now my stain is made with mineral spirits so over time it will expand an O ring inside of the shur-flo.So when i'm having probs with the pump priming up 9 out of 10 times that's the prob.After i trouble shoot filters pickup tubes..etc.

Just replace them and you good to go :cool:

Shane,

Sometimes I have the same problem, getting the pump primed. I am going to add a in-line hand squeeze bulb for priming.

I don't know what o-ring can expand in a surflow. There's a rubber membrane at the pressure switch junction.

The beauty of a sureflo pump is its' simplicity.

Can you splain?

Shane,

Sometimes I have the same problem, getting the pump primed. I am going to add a in-line hand squeeze bulb for priming.

I don't know what o-ring can expand in a surflow. There's a rubber membrane at the pressure switch junction. What o-ring?

Can you splain?

Tony

Same here with the prime bulb need to add one too on my pick up tube.

When you take off the housing of the pump there is an O-ring on the very top that fits in a groove.It's a pretty big O-ring maby and inch or 2 wide give or take.

If that doesn't ring a bell i'll snap a pick Mon. and post it :cool:

I like the ZEP spray bottles. When I have lost of detail work, I like them best, also less overspray. But for a large project, we use a Decker sprayer and occasionally we use pump ups.

Beth

Thank you all for the input. It is an overspray issue for me. The time I save is worth having an extra spray bottle around just in case one bites the dust.

Tony,

Try cleaning with a degreaser instead of the spirits. We use both for different things, but we do like the degreaser.

Beth

Such as HD-80? Or a degreaser formulated for truck washing? Potassium hydroxide?

Can you share?

So you're saying you pour a little degreaser in the spray bottle to clean it out? I never thought of that, always used paint thinner to clean up after using oil based products.

Do you also clean brushes, buckets, trays, etc with the degreaser?

Do you do a final rinse with water?

Thanks!

Shane,

I don't know what o-ring can expand in a surflow. There's a rubber membrane at the pressure switch junction. What o-ring?

Can you splain?

Tony

This is the O-ring i was talking about that will expand and the pump won't prime.

Tony,

I make a degreaser solution and stick my pigtail into the bucket and turn on the pump and spray the entire line back into the bucket until it comes out the same color as the solution, then I switch to clean water and spray until it runs clear. This sets the unit up for the next time. This is the decker 5'er though.

The shurflo set up I only use for spraying chems and I keep the system wet when not in use. The valves are viton and the diaphram is santoprene.

Rod~

Shane,

The way that o-ring is seated, I wouldn't have expected it would swell. I've never had a problem with that, though. Are you sure a piece of debris wasn't at fault? Hmmm...

Rod,

Thanks for sharing your cleaning process. I do it pretty much the same way, except with thinner. I'll have to give the degreaser a try and see how it works for me.

If you spray latex, would you still use degreaser, or soap & water? Sometimes cleaning the airless sprayer is such a task, especially after extended usage while spraying latex. Mainly I would spray solid color latex on fences. I've been using Simple Green and water, but often the little clumps, and clots plug up everything and maybe the degreaser would soften it up better.

Speaking of Simple Green, I keep it in spray bottles in all the trailers, it is great for washing hands, and almost any general cleaning you can throw at it.