Sign in to follow this  
flimmy

Question about enclosed trailer

I'd just like to say hi to everyone and I think this site is great. I am thinking of starting a pw buisness so I have been reading alot here and on other boards.

I have one question , for now ,many more to come. :D

I found a good deal on a 6x12 inclosed trailer , 2990 gvw. I can increase it to 3500# by swaping in a heavier axle. It was an option so the frame will be fine. Do you think this is a heavy enough gvw ? I am looking at enclosed trailers because I think they have alot more advantages than an open trailer.

Like , rolling sign , security , keeps equipment out of the elements , higher resale to upgrade to a larger trailer when the buisness grows. The ability to just park and lock it at night when you get home at the end o fthe day is the biggest advantage to me.

Are there any disadvantages ?

Some weight issues to consider:

(1) Will you be carrying water? If so, how many gallons. Figure 8 lbs/gallon - a 325 gallon tank is going to weigh 2600 lbs.

(2) What does your machine weigh?

(3) How much chemical weight will you have - 40 lbs here and there will add up.

(4) Ladders? with rack? Surface cleaner?

As to the enclosed versus open - enclosed you will have to vent for exhaust. However, the security and weatherizing is a plus. You can have as much or as little signage on either. We have an open trailer and like the accessibility on the sides, top and underneath if we have to :) But freezing weather has been a b*tch since we can't just throw a space heater inside something.

Welcome to the board :)

Celeste

Flimmy,

I would go with the 3500# axles. Also if that trailer is a single axle I would recommend going with a double axle. My trailer is 6x12 tandem axle with 3500# axles it is open also. I prefer open for ease of setup, working on things and to show off my equipment=). I park mine in my garage at night.

Anyhow tandem axles with 3500# axles is the way I would go. Water wieghs around 8# a gallon a 275gal tank weighs 2200pounds(granted you wont be full all the time), add that to your skid unit,fuel tanks, chems, toolbox full to the brink with stuff and the pounds add up real quick. Hope this helps a bit.

Richard

I don't have any equipment yet , I sill researching what to get. I don't want to waiste money on something I will be unhappy with. I have an open trailer, 7k daul axle , now but realy didn't want to dedicate it to PWing only. I do haul a 4x4 buggy on it about 1 evey 6 weeks when I go 4wheeling.

How hard would it be to make everything removable ? Like I said I would only have to do it every 6 weeks or so. Just try to plan on having the water tank near empty. Just a thought.

I will be asking ALOT of questions in the next few weeks. So thanks fo rthe advise.

If it is a great deal on the 6X12 enclosed trailer, I would go with it for a starter trailer. Trailers hold their value and resale will be easy. I agree with the concern thathauling water would overload this trailer. I like having an enclosed trailer for several reasons, like security, changing out of wet clothes, keeping harsh chemicals out of reach of children, animals, and curious adults.

If you plan to start out with a 4gpm unit which will allow you to get by without a water tank as well as less weight attributed to a heavier machine, I would go with the 6x12 single axle. Like Gymrat stated, If the trailer is taken care of resale down the road, when you decide to upgrade, should be easy. Your choice of machine is going to be greatly dependent on what kind of work you plan to do. If you are planning to do primaarily residential work than you can get by with just a cold water machine, but if you plan to delve into the commercial arena, you need to consider hot water and having room in your trailer for reclaimation equipment. Hence, a tandem axle would be a better choice starting out.

I had planned on getting a hot water machine. I also want to start out with residental work and maybe a few local tri-axle dump trucks. There are a few small big truck repair shops around that I may be able to try that. I would like to get into commercial flat work and store fronts.

Gymrat , I didn't think about the kids or adults getting into the chemicals or being able to change clothes. The main reason was the ease of storage , keeping most everythng inside the trailer.

What would be the min. size tank you coud get away with it I had a 4gpm hot water machine. I would try to use the customers water when ever possible but I know that may not always be an option.

Another plus with the tandem axle is the trailer is better behaved while towing. The weight is distributed better, and it doesn't tend to get as squirrelly.

Also, don't forget about trailer brakes, they are a must. Even without a water tank, a hot skid, fuel, parts, supplies, chems, and the trailer itself can add up to 3k pounds in a second. Many states require brakes if a trailer exceeds 2500 pounds.

In PA anything over 3000 lbs. is requiered to have brakes on both axles. If the trailer were under 3k I feel confident that my truck could stop just fine. It's an 03 3500 Dodge CTD :D

I am thinking of passing up this trailer and maybe building my own. The biggest cost will be the steel. I can get all the parts including the axles at TSC.

I saw a PW rig today that was a tandem axle trailer but was real short. I did like the way he had the pw in a box in the front and the tank over the axle. Other than the box the rest was open.

I don't doubt for a second that your Dodge can stop the weight, but when a panic stop occurs, you'd be surprised how even a few extra feet of stopping distance can make a difference.

I bet the brakes on your 3500 will cost a lot to replace if you prematurely wear them out.