Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Buffer Tank Needed?

I currently run a 4gpm 3700psi unit. Some times the pump kicks off and I have no pressure. I think that it is because the water source is not putting out adequate gpm's but not sure. I know I need to start timing how long it takes to fill a 5 gal bucket and will start doing so but I was wondering if I need a buffer tank for low flow rated water sources. I think I read that it can be real bad on pumps if they are starved. I was thinking that 25 gallons will serve its purpose but I have no idea where to purchase one. Sorry that this turns out to be a question and not info on a new great discovery that can change the power washing industry. I am still working on that one.:lgmoneyey

Check your local coin operated car washes. They often have plastic drums available that was used to deliver their chems. You may find it easier to locate a 30 gallon drum, than a 25.

With everything that I have going on right now I was just hoping to buy one. I t doesnt sound like their available or are too expensive and it is better to make your own. Do you guys think I even need one with a 4gpm unit?

If you're actually running your pump dry, YES, you need one. If not, you'll soon need a new pump too. You can buy 35 gallon tanks at Tractor Supply or most other farm supply stores.

My machine is 4gpm, and I don't use a water tank, and have only run into a situation where my pump has bogged down from lack of water a handful of times. Instead of caring around a water tank that I'm rarely ever going to need, I have another method of solving this problem when it arises. I use a Y hose adapter that has opposite fittings on it and attach it to my washer and run two hoses to two differnt water spikets and it has always solved the problem.

I havent thought about the y connector and two spikots. It will not change the water pressure but it would certainly double the gpm's. Sometimes its the simple solutions that we over look. Thanks for the idea.