Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

Pulsating ShurFlo??

was messing with my shurflo sprayer yesterday and have a service question:

pump was running good, primed nicely, no problems..... pull the trigger on the gun/wand and the pump pulsates ... it keeps spraying but it pulsates and the spray volume isnt consistant... took the gun off and it pumped fine out of the hose with no pulsating.... I even slowly closed the ball valve to see if it was a gun problem restricting flow which may have caused the pulsating, it kept pumping until the valve was closed then cycled off, like its supposed to do (I think).....in other words, I can't get it to pulsate unless the gun is attatched and I pull the trigger.....??? any ideas ??

Shane, its not sucking air, everything is tight..... whats weird is that when I keep the gun off of the hose (disconnected) with just the open hose, it runs fine, pumps the water great.....when the gun is attached and the pump is on, pull the trigger the pump goes "up and down" not "on and off", just higher and lower...........and the spray thru the nozzle is higher and lower......when the trigger is released the pump shuts off automatically, which I believe it is supposed to do................... I read thru the minimal paperwork that came with the pump and it doesn't say anything about a pressure switch....it only talks about a pressure switch in one area and says "if equiped"..... so I really don't know if it has one...there is no visible knob or anything, unless its one of the screws in the top of the case area.......

thanks for the help so far.....MH

Mike

The pressure switch is the little hex screw on the top of the cap.You turn it a clockwise a 1 or 2 turns while you are squeezing the trigger feeling it give you more pressure.You don't want to adjust it too much it will wear out the switch fast.

Have you tried another trigger it could be the culprit?

shane..... the gun/wand is new, but it is an espec p.o.s. that will be replaced with a regular gun and wand with a cone tip nozzle..... maybe I'll change one of my regular guns into a 1/4" and use that for sealer......planned on using the wand I have from espec (fan nozzle) for applying stripper and ox only until it craps out, or hang onto it as a backup......

I'll try everything out again tomorrow with a different gun and see what happens.....

thanks again my man !!

I'm having the same issue with my Shurflo except that I've got a ball valve at the end of my 250 ft of chem hose and when it's fully open, no wand attached, it still pulsates as if it can't make up it's mind (infact more than when the wand is attached).

Check for a clogged tip or your tip is too restrictive or your hose length is too great or the hose is too small. It's a basic form of feedback in the system. Your tip requires a certain pressure to force a liquid through it (more viscous liquid could also be the culprit...what're you pumping through it?) Once the pressure builds up to a certain point, it will flow through the orifice. Simultaneously, once the pressure reaches a certain point the pump will shut off. Most likely the pressure point of your hose/gun/tip system and the pump are very similar and are slightly out of sync. Fiddling with the pressure valve on the pump to increase the pressure at which it shuts off should fix it. I had this problem before but length of hose and vertical distance between pump (on ground) and my gun (3 story roof) were the culprit that day. A weak battery made the situation worse. Check your charge (a multimeter is an invaluable tool to have around).

just finished messing with the system...PRESSURE SWITCH too low !!!! Like Shane said, pull the trigger, hold open and adjust the switch.....2 1/2 - 3 turns and it was pumping like its supposed to be (I hope).....

Ryan, I was testing it out with water and only 50 feet of 3/8" hose with a new battery, so Im guessing the pressure was set too low from the factory to pump through the tip I have on the wand.......Thanks for the ideas !!

Shane, Thank You !!!

Be safe all

No prob Mike i'm glad that did the trick and glad i could help :cool:

It's great for the shurflo to pump fast so you can finish the job faster on the other hand you will get more overspray.I'll take finishing the job faster and just protect for the overspray :D

Those couple of turns of the pressure switch should be all you need to adjust for a while.You just don't want the pump to keep on running after you let go the trigger.

when I let go of the trigger, the pump still stopped, so I should be good there. I see what you mean about the higher pressure and overspray with a shurflo, was real windy here today and the spraying was brutal..... what do you think of the volume regulating type guns (deckster) where, I believe, the pressure remains the same but the flow of chem/sealer is reduced..??

anyway, one issue at a time..... appreciate the help, THANX

MH

what do you think of the volume regulating type guns (deckster) where, I believe, the pressure remains the same but the flow of chem/sealer is reduced..??

anyway, one issue at a time..... appreciate the help, THANX

MH

I've never used that kind of spray gun Mike i've only used my set up with Spray Systems Inc. trigger and wand/ diff. size tips.