Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Weather

Question

Well all how is the weather wherever you are?

Nice and wet here, in fact it is pouring so hard you could almost pressure wash the sidewalks with it, IF ONLY I could convert it to HOT water.

So I sit home resting and doing boring things like paying bills and inputting stuff into Quick Books Pro, told it boring stuff.:cool:

Jon

25 answers to this question

Jon, The sun is shining 90 minutes west of you! you should get some sun this afternoon. Hopfully Sunday will be sunny all day as

I will be in a rally going from Dana Pointe to Lake Elsinore via the Ortega Highway then over to Temecula.

Wet in southwest Ohio too. My notes for my estimates are unreadable from the rain. Need to get the scuba board and grease pencil out. Thank goodness for photos and tape recorders though.

I got caught in a rainstorm yesterday also. Two estimates in the rain. I'm like the post man - except I head south in the winter.

It was pooring down in sheets. Topped off my pool; save a bit on the water bill - of course I'll spend 2x that on gas for my lawn tractor. Grass grew 5 inches in 2 days. I swear I'm cutting it every 2 days.

Grass cutting is not bad when there's someone to hand me a beer on every other pass. I need to rig up my cooler like I did last year. Everyone wanted to cut my lawn for some reason.

Paperwork sucks, especially when it's nice outside. That's why the laptop comes in handy.

It was nice here today high was in the 70's the breeze was blowing my father in law came up with some watermelon and eat that out under the tree. Then I got a Garden Pond out of the shed and dug a hole 6x8 and 18" deep. Man im not use to that kind of work. Dang a shovel. Morgan

Looked at the weather forecast and they are calling for rain everyday over the next 7 day period.

Time to polish and maintain the equipment and do some team building.

We'll wait a couple of days before starting to build the boat.

It could be drinking beer - in todays day and age, I have to take some responsibility and can't buy the crew drinks all night. They get one round and they are on their own - we help with transport home if they look like they had way too much fun. No one is obligated to attend this type of a session and no one is treated any different if they don't attend. But this only happens every now and then anyway, it's not a regular event.

Team building can be other things such as a BBQ, picnic, pig roast, going to a baseball game, playing softball on a Sunday, working as a team to do maintenance on equipment, cleaning up the shop, going to a seminar, having lunch provided, testing equipment, visiting vendor shops, given an opportunity to problem solve and input as a team. Most any situation can be turned into team building session by allowing the folks to work side-by-side, talk about work and other items openly, giving them the ability to openly input, listen to each other and get to know one and all. I also encourage people to be innovative, not be scared to admit their mistakes (never beat up anyone for a mistake - unless it's the same one for the third time, than the GLOVES COME OFF).

We always try to have a theme and the formal get togethers (meetings) have a clear objective and agenda. But most of all I encourage people to have fun while they are working (there are some basic common-sense guidelines to go with that of course).

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain...... never dry enough to seal. Or maybe you can seal one job, but everyone wants it to be THEIR job even if it's not their turn. We need some solid sunny days! Like two weeks worth!:(

Enough april weather. Bring on the hot, dry June weather. DRY is a good word today.... it wasn't supposed to RAIN until late thisafternoon or early this evening. It started RAINING at 8:30 this morning!!!!! :mad:

Beth

:(

How's the weather here? Have you been watching the news? We are dodging Tornados and Hail storms. North of me got 3.5" hail sunday.

More expected all damn week. Get one stripped and brightened and it rains for two weeks.. Who needs to rinse brightner when you can count on mother nature to do it.

Reed

ps. half my bids this year have been hail damage repair.

Here is an example of what we have been dealing with in TN since Sunday night. We have been under flash flood warnings and torando warnings/watches everyday and the first chance of sunshine is supposed to be Monday. I told my wife last night I will be glad to take the snow in MD instead of putting up with this every spring. This picture was in west TN but it is like this all over the state. Some people a have lost evrything to floods others to Tornados.

4.jpg

It's been alternating between sunshiny one day, and rainy the next. Job schedules are out of the question, I've had to go day by day what I can get done.

I'm not about to complain, after hearing of the havoc many states went through. I'm glad all the members here are safe, as far as we know.

I'm also glad the truck lying on it's side was not wearing a bow-tie.

Joel did you clean that car after it was flipped? sure is clean for a car that just went though tornado.

Inb fact everything in that picture is just pretty clean, nothing shows dirt.

Could that be a doctored photo?

Hey I see duct tape, at least they were ready for the chemical warfare.

I am not making fun of what the people have been though or their loses, just that one picture.

Jon

Weather,

we had more t'storms last night, another tornado south of us, and golf ball size hail southwest of us. Tennessee is getting it right this minute.

It is suppose to rain all the way to Sunday.

So, maybe i should do a damp application of woodtux?????

Reed

The pallet we have here that had Wood Tux applied to wet/damp wood looks great so far. Time will tell.

Believe me, I have thought about it too. We can't get a break here. Last year we had tornados here too, but mainly little twisters. I hope we don't have that again this season. Last year one hit a house across the court from us on our street. Too close for comfort.

Beth

Not living in an area subject to such winds I will assume it has the same affect as when we get a heavy rain storm, after the storm moves on everything is like new, freshest air, clearest skies, cars look show room new etc.

That must be how it is other then to see all the damage done, sad to say I don't understand why people would rebuild year after year in the same place knowing it could happen again, and I am sure some have been twisted more then once too.

Then you have the insurance companies, we cannot get fair insurance in our line of work yet they continue to insure year after year in those areas. Does not make sense to me.

Jon

Jon,

By law they have to insure. But it doesn't of course have to be affordable. It certainly reflects in the premiums. I've seen it in Hurricane country - having spent many weeks trying to find rates that wouldn't put us into bankruptcy.

I've also said that I'll sit thru ten Hurricanes in the Keys before I take on one Tornado in Missouri or Kansas - Toto. We sat thru one just a few years ago that had the eye come directly over us.

As I understand, because of it's structure, the 1-4 o'clock area of a hurricane is the most distructive.

Truth be told I love danger, would love to be in hurrican country, on a Navy boat in the roughest seas you can find, or better yet those Coast Guard boats that are made to turn completely over and right themselves.

Used to scuba dive with doubles to depths I would have to spend time decompressing, yes we had single 72s left at the decom depth for that, dragged raced cars, legally, done a lot of exciting things!

Like getting married. Oh wait that was extremely exciting, spears pointing at me from a lot of directions.

In laws lived in Hawaii but from the Philipines! Man can those people be MEAN.

Hope for your sake the meanness was not hereditary.

Every stupid thing I do is blamed on inherited genes from my parents.

You ever do night diving among a school of sharks. See only what's ahead. Every time you bump into something you hope it's not the big one.

Jon,

I'm no longer a thrill seeker although from time to time I like to burn out the carbon on my rice burning pocket rocket.

0-60 in 2.7. - not so stock KZ900. It's like shooting a bazooka.

Kicks in the afterburner at about 6-Grand. Need a seat belt.

Mom at 75 loves the back seat. She just about choked me though when I popped a wheely. After it was all said and done, she was ready for more.

Better half would rather walk since we nearly put it down when an SUV pulled out in front of us and stopped as it was trying to cross the street with nowhere to go. We were in a heavy slide heading heavily sideways and almost beyond the point of no return (about 3/4 way down). I'm sure she had her eyes closed since normally she is trying to tell me what to do but I heard no sound from the rear. My adrenalin kicked in and it was slo-mo for me. Made it by the skinny-skin-skin as someone let him thru.

I don't have time to ride it too much so a friend is getting a good deal - just hope he's safe.

Paul B,.

Don't get rid of the bike. Once you do, you'll want it back. I ride my cruiser every chance I get. Once this rain stops, I will be closer to my tourer. either the heritage softail springer or the road king.

Reed

Paul Reed is right, after riding for over 40 years we decided to buy a 5th wheel, used it 6 times in 3 years then sold it, sold bike to and ever since I have wanted another.

WIfe says to old, to dangerous to this and that. Wish I never got rid of it, oh and the trailer we towed behind it with our camping gear.

The good days are gone once that bike goes.

I could go buy one today and pay $20,000 for a Gold Wing but geez I could buy the wife a care and pay $20,000 so which do you think she is going to approve?

I want my Yamaha Venture Royale's back. Owned 5 of them over time, so many miles put on a year was not worth rebuilding.

As for night diving I only did it once on a weekend dive, if any sharks were there I did not bump into them or if I did never knew it.

Jon

I bought that bike brand new in a crate - For some reason it sat in a crate unassembled for three years in the warehouse of this dealer I knew. The salesguy at the time thought he was lucky to unload that bike. Thirty years later I know a lot of guys that would give a left (arm?) for this classic. (Hard to ride with one arm.)

Yes, I WILL regret it - especially this one. It's helped me burn off a lot of anger and sorrow in the past. Hey, I retain visiting rites!

And if I get the fever, who knows what may show up on the garage floor. She's real good about stuff like that - she's not materialistic so it may cost me another vacation (I can deal with that as long she keeps me out of the jungle).

I don't know about anywhere else, but winds were between 35 and 45 mph here in Southwest Ohio for Mother's day. I didn't think hurricane edges moved up this far north.

Trees were trying to lay down and take a nap and pool was covered with leaves and leaf fragments (literally tearing new leaves off the trees).

Saturday was similar, and today is between 18-28 mph. Kind of makes tall house/building work "iffy". Best stay close to the ground for another day or so cleaning decks and concrete, etc.

No stain spraying for sure - Who's got a Hurricane brush?

Guest John Sanford

I don't know about the rest of you Marylanders but I've got about 45 decks just waiting to be sealed. It's a good thing that I collect a down payment when I take these jobs. Otherwise I would be broke waiting for the sun to seal them all.

I'm going to have to get these things done one way or another. Maybe I should try using a blower to dry the decks.

John

John, we're with you, and so is most of the eastern seaboard. Spoke to a friend in NJ yesterday who is ready to pull his hair out. Down in Georgia, same thing. Same thing in IL, NY, Carolinas, etc...

Blowers, brooms, towels all help, but you have to get down to 15% wood moisure content depending on the sealer.... :(

Beth