Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Hauling water

Question

I haven't got to the point yet of hauling my water(I'm working on it), but I've had jobs in the past that needed it, but it's rare. Anyway, I've got a bid on a large housewash and swingset for about $840, but their well gpm is around 2 gpm. I've worked with low house gpm before and it's hell with the x-jet. My question is: what's a good house gpm and if you don't haul your own water what do you guys charge. Last year I charged $300 extra for the occasional large job and got it.

4 answers to this question

Get a cheap 275 gal chemical tote (I paid $75) and use it as a water buffer. Load about 150gal into the tank and dump the supply and the unloader into the tank. With a 2gpm supply and a 5gpm machine, you'll get about 40 min continuous on the gun before you suck air. Including normal intermittent time off the trigger you may see as much as 75 min before you run dry. Plan your side work, dwell times, etc. accordingly and you may actually get a good bit of work done between refills.

Alternately, if you want the job and hauling puts it out of reach then get creative. Drop of the empty tank the night before and ask the homeowner to fill it the night before. Drop off a "fire bladder" (i.e. a kiddy pool) and have them fill it prior to your arrival.

I'm working a complex now where several of the buildings/fences have no suitable water supply. The farthest is only about a 1/4 mile so I don't charge, I just buffer to my tank for the first part of the day. Within a few hours the tank is full and I roll to the remote worksite. When I run out I go back and start working/buffering where there is water.

I've rented water tanks on trailers before and they all have gas pumps on them. Do you need a pump or is gravity enough?

Gravity should be enough, as long as the suppy hose is big enough and is as close to the washer as posible.

Gravity should be enough, as long as the suppy hose is big enough and is as close to the washer as posible.

I'm still in the washing my own and my friends things as I get comfortable with the equipment and chemicals. Going along with that, I tried out my tank, and it was a flop. I have a direct drive pump (3.3gmp, 3500PSI, 13HP honda, cat pump) and the pressure was noticably lower drawing from the tank, then it went to nothing. I also notice that the with the hose connected to a tee and tank vavle open, I did not draw as well at the pump. The tank is 250gal, the 2" outlet sits almost 2' below my pump's inlet.

I just got a new trailer and am going to have to redo my plumbing, maybe there was a leak. From what I've read this can be a problem. If that doesn't take care of it, what type of DC inline pump would anyone recomend to remedy my problem.

Rog