Sign in to follow this  
FullBlast

Biding decks

Question

I'm getting a pile of deck washes this spring and I'm just uncertian how to make a decent bid on them. I have been just taking a guess how long it takes to do it then give it a shot. I tend to come up on the short side. What range of price do you figure per square ft.? How do you figure for the railing? So much a ft. or so much a spindle?

13 answers to this question

Decks are tough. I love the gratification of the work but I find the people willing to pay the rate are not in abundance. There are too many guys out there that have no clue how to estimate or they cut so many corners in regards to chemicals and quality sealer, insurance etc that I quite often end up being double the price of the lowest bidder. You are about 80 miles west of me so I am not sure of your demographic.I find about $1.30 a sq ft for the floor and $6.00 a linear foot for the railing, plus the actual square footage of the steps if there are more than three of them, usually gets me in the ball park. I have compared this to measuring every square foot of wood (decking, railing, spindles, support posts, fascia, treads, risers, etc) and while the rate may be off a bit, it makes my bids more competetive.

Yea thanks for coming back to me. I looked you up to see where you were too!! Hey theres room for everyone here I think. I tend to try to bid a job by how well to do the place is keeping in mind that I don't want to lose a job. I started my business by myself and know what its like to be desperate for work and still can't stand to miss a job by being to high. I have grew a good bit in the last 4 years from working by myself to 3 truck on the road now so my thinking is going to have to change to. I can't do job for what I use to when I was by myself with no insurance and no help. Hired man can't keep up to my pace either so that effects my biding too!! So I'm trying to get some tips to try making a lil beter on some these jobs. It was just gaeting to be to often that I would bid a job then walk away and kick myself for biding to low. Also how do bid on sealing these decks? What for sealer do you use? Thanks!!!!!!

The only real competition around here I have come acrossed is Mr Powerwash, the rest seem to be part timers or mom and pop operations. I'm getting ready to head out the door, but feel free to give me a call on my cell phone tonight. The prices I gave you in my post are materials included using Ready Seal or Wood Tux (which is a little bit more expensive per gallon) If you're already busy, you can adjust the prices up a bit.

Yea ok not sure if I time tonite. I have some jobs to look at and a trailer to pick up that was at the shop today. But I may get up with sometime. My big problem right now is finding good dependable help, which I guess is everybody problem. Had fellow that was going to start last mon. called him sat. eve to tell what time to meet us, says no I guess not I found another job!!!! Ain't that cool?!? At least he could give me a call!!!!! Hey thanks!!!

I finally broke down and went to the temporary agency this week. For $15.20 I can get a $10 man with a background check and drug test. All taxes and workman’s comp are also paid.

Best of luck

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC

“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”

www.midmohandyman.com

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services LLC

www.advancedpw.com

Hey Jesse, You say for $15.20 you can have a man? Does the $15.20 cover the $10 for him or is that over and above that yet? Thats per hr. right? How do you get hooked up with them?

I tend to try to bid a job by how well to do the place is keeping in mind that I don't want to lose a job. I started my business by myself and know what its like to be desperate for work and still can't stand to miss a job by being to high. ]

Fullblast,

Recently I was asked to bid a deck cleaning and sealing job where the customer actually told me the price he was given by a painting contractor to do the same job. After I figured up all the square footage there was no way I could do this job lower than the painting contractor's price. It was hard turning in a bid that I knew was quite a bit higher than a previous bid the home owner already had. I stuck to my guns though and carried him my bid anyway. I used my knowedge and experience I have gained from boards like this one to explain to the customer the reason why my bid was higher, but I understood if he went with the lowest bid.

The home owner looked at my bid, listened to what I was saying,then asked when could I start. Point is, you don't always have the be the lowest bidder...always be the best.

Len Sutton

Len's Home Services

Hey Jesse, You say for $15.20 you can have a man? Does the $15.20 cover the $10 for him or is that over and above that yet? Thats per hr. right? How do you get hooked up with them?

I assume that it includes it. Here in the southeast, temp agencies get a fee equal to 50% of the hourly wage. So, $10/hr man = ~$15/hr to the agency. And it's become PC here to call it "staff leasing"

A friend that I graduated with works at the family owned temp agency named C&S Business Services. She gave me the lowdown on how temps work and why people use them.

$15.20 is my total out of pocket expense per hour. I was very specific on the type of person I was looking for and told them there was no rush on finding someone.

They will call when they find the type of worker I am looking for and said quite a few teachers will be laid off this summer. Until then I will use their second best workers 1 or 2 days a week.

Best of luck

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services LLC

www.advancedpw.com

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC

“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”

www.midmohandyman.com