Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Remotely locating a gas tank/ fuel consumption

I have a 4gal cold machine with a 1.5 gal fuel tank mounted atop. It was mobile, but is now pretty much permanently mounted. Anyway, lifting the gas can and refilling every few hours ia a pain. I'd like to mount a 10gal can on the deck (about 16in below) and plumb it to the carb. Anyone know any gotcha's or must do's for this one?

Also, I have been looking at hot skids and I'm noticing fuel consumption rates around 4gal/hr. I'm presently using only 1.5gal every 3.5hrs on my 13hp 4 gal machine. 4gpm sounds awfully high for an 16-20hp engine. Does 4gpm include burner fuel as well?

Philip on the 13 hp honda they don't have fuel pumps and are gravity fed on the larger motors they have diaphram fuel pumps.Unless you mount it above motor it won't work.I have a 23 hp Vanguard and the motor alone burns 3gl/hr at 3600 rpm under full load.I have an sdc burner which has I think 3.0 or a 3.25 gl/hr fuel nozzle.I hope this helps.

I've got a SC30008K Hydrotek with a 7G fuel tank.

Running only on cold water that tank of 87 will last me just under 6 hours.

If I'm running 150F then I will have to refuel just after 4 hours of operation.

I think it's important to note that every 50 hours we change spark plugs, diesel/gas/oil/air filters, engine oil and pump oil.

Philip on the 13 hp honda they don't have fuel pumps and are gravity fed on the larger motors they have diaphram fuel pumps.Unless you mount it above motor it won't work.I have a 23 hp Vanguard and the motor alone burns 3gl/hr at 3600 rpm under full load.I have an sdc burner which has I think 3.0 or a 3.25 gl/hr fuel nozzle.I hope this helps.

It does, thank you. I am a little confused as to why it burns so much fuel. You are a little under 2x the power output but draw almost 6x the fuel.

As for the tank, there must be a simple solution. My push mower has it's tank under the carb and employs a little primer bulb. My chainsaw and weedeater both have under belly tanks and they draw upwards as well.

Honestly Philip I'm not sure why it burns so much fuel it is a twin cylinder.Luckily I have a 17.7 fuel tank and my machine never runs under full load for an hr at a time.I'm not sure why your small tools draw upwards unless they have a small fuel pump or something,that might be why you have to prime it first its way above my head lol

As for the tank, there must be a simple solution. My push mower has it's tank under the carb and employs a little primer bulb. My chainsaw and weedeater both have under belly tanks and they draw upwards as well.

It creates a siphon, just like when you're siphoning gas from a vehicle. The primer bulb creates a vacuum that draws the gas up vertically and once the flow is started, it will continue until it drains most of the tank. However, the liquid weight being drawn upward from the smaller engines that you've mentioned is significantly less than that from a PW gas tank. You can buy small fuel pumps at most auto parts stores to aid the lift of the gas to the carb.

As far as burning so much fuel, it can be one of several things or none of them. Dirty air filters are usually the culprit, but sometimes it's an out-of-whack carb. For whatever reason, some machines are more thirsty than others sometimes.

(Dirty air filters are usually the culprit, but sometimes it's an out-of-whack carb. For whatever reason, some machines are more thirsty than others sometimes.)

I called the manufacturer and spoke to tech dept and thats what they told me around 3gl/hr under full load.Its kinda funny I haven't really paid much attention to the amount of fuel I'm burning with that big of a tank.I just top it off every few days and depends on what I'm doing as too how much fuel its burning.