Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Snow makers

Question

Anyone ever use their machine to make snow in the winter? I guess making more snow would seem insane for many of you guys, but for those of us down here where 1/2" closes the schools and empties the grocery it seems like fun.

I've threated to do it for several years, but when it's below freezing outside the idea of hauling out the rig and firing it up for a "test" seems like a little too much work. On the other hand, if it does work I'll gladly tie the extension wand to a tree and let it run all night! Imagine the surprise when everyone makes up and the Doolittle residence has a giant pile of snow waiting to be pounced in and rolled into snowballs

8 answers to this question

Philip,

If you have a hotwater skid (hotwater freezes faster than cold) it will work if the temp drops below about 23 for several hours.We tried this one night this past winter (I warned the neighbors in advance,because of the noise involved).It will make snow but it would take more than a few hours to cover even a small area with enough to play in.We live a few hours south of you so you might be able to get more to accumulate.

For a cold water machine you will need the temp drop and a air compressor with a wand to mix the air into the water stream to achieve snow.There is a kit online to accomplish this for a cold water machine but it's pricey.

I'm glad I'm not the only nut in the fruitcake! I've got an air compressor and could rig something up. Also, I have watched it alot at ski resorts and they just use a ring of 1/4megs around the circumference of a bid fan. Perhaps I could build something up like that.

Now I've heard it all! so this is what your guys do in the winter when business is slow.

Hey Squirtgun post a link to that kit for the nuts, er sorry guys that might want to buy one.

Last year I was going to try it but when I got to thinking about spraying water in 19 degree weather and then having to re-winterize my machine I said to hell to with it.

But it sure would be neat to be the only guy with white in his yard. Even though my nearest nieghbor cant see my yard it'd still be neat.

Richard

I too was pondering the idea around Christmas time. The kids would have loved it.

Unfortunately it doesn't get cold enough around here for it to work and not to mention the neighbours who'd be calling the association b/c of noise. I'm still worried about the fire department's second visit.