Sign in to follow this  
mikew

Pressure Treated Fence questions

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of getting some practice/experience. I'm starting with my own property. I'm going to restain my pressure treated fence. I stained the fence 3 or 4 years ago using a Behr stain. I'll try to upload pictures of the fence and can of stain.

Here are my questions:

1. From reading previous posts it sounds like Behr stain can be a pain to remove. What do I need to use to remove the Behr stain? HD80??

2. Do I need to use a brightner once step 1 is complete? If so, what brand?

3. What do I use to apply the chemicals used in steps 1 and 2 above? A pump up sprayer?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm close to Sun Brite Supply in GA. Hopefully I can get my chems from them.

Thanks!

Mike

9 answers to this question

Either Sunbrite's Severe Strip or HD80, which I hear they are carrying now. Dwell time is going to be the key. Contact Pete Marentay at Sunbrite and he can you on the right track.

From the looks of the failed stain on your fence you are in luck. Shouldn't be too hard to remove.

reed

Either Sunbrite's Severe Strip or HD80, which I hear they are carrying now. Dwell time is going to be the key. Contact Pete Marentay at Sunbrite and he can you on the right track.

From the looks of the failed stain on your fence you are in luck. Shouldn't be too hard to remove.

reed

Hi Reed,

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll give Pete a call and see what he suggests. Do you use a pump up sprayer to apply the chems?

Thanks,

Mike

HD-80 is great for removing Behr. We have removed it many, many times.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the information. It's great to hear from experienced pros like yourself and Reed about what products work.

Thanks!

Mike

I'm just about ready to start my fence. I went to Sunbrite on Thursday and got my needed chems.

My questions is related to the green buildup on my fence in places. I assume this is mold and mildew??? Is that correct? Will the HD80 remove this as well or will I need to do additional steps in the process? Picture is attached.

Thanks!

Mike

post-936-137772142926_thumb.jpg

Mike

That looks like surface mildew and should come off after you strip and P/wash.If the mildew is still there hit it with a little bleach/soap mixture.

Mike

That looks like surface mildew and should come off after you strip and P/wash.If the mildew is still there hit it with a little bleach/soap mixture.

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the information. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Mike