Sign in to follow this  
Crownroyal

Stripper Time

Question

I Have A ? About Gray Paint On Decks.

The Homeowner Doesnt Know What Kind It Is And I Was Wondering If Hd80 Takes Gray Deck Paint Off?

I Will Be Going Back To Try A Sample Spot.

I Know Carry Some With Me.

I Was Selling Leaffilter Gutter Protection To His Neighbors. And He Came Over And Asked If I Could Remove The Paint.

Gotta Love Truck Lettering.

Also Have Another Job, What Do You Guys Think About Cwf Uv Cedar Tone Deck Stain? I Have Two Decks To Strip And Match To His Gazzebo. I Use Ready Seal And Would Like To Strip All To Match But He Likes Cwf. Is Cwf Hard To Strip?

I Only Do Newly Built Decks And I Am Thinking About Going Into The Stripping Faze.

Thanks For Anyhelp.

Is There A Way To Just Search Your Own Last Posts?

Beth?

5 answers to this question

CWF will come off with HD-80. Been there, done that. But paint is a 50/50 shot. Depends on the paint. Do a test spot.

Personally, I think there are better things to seal with than CWF....

Try the advanced search feature.

Beth

With things changing everyday,some times things you knew no longer applies don't know if it's age or the fumes.

but I need to know what is being used for stripping the following?

Laytex Alkyd & Acrylics.

RON

SDI

This past week we were called on to remove 30 years worth of paint from a screened in porch floor. It was estimated by the owner that there was at least 15 to 20 coats of paint on this concrete floor.

When asked what types of paint had been used he could only say the last few applications were an exterior floor paint he thought came from Sherwin Williams. The surface color was gray. Looking at the area where they had attempted to remove the paint with a zero degree tip on a hot water unit you could also see darker shades of gray, blue and even what looked like a red primer.

We laid out a test patch that was 4'X4' We mixed HD-80 at 2/3 cup per gallon and added Boost at 10%. We treated the test area with this solution and noted the time.

The first scratch test was done after a 15 min dwell. There was no change in the surface and scratching produced no result.

We continued to scratch the surface ever 15 min. On the third test at 45 min the surface layer began to liquefy and there was some movement below the surface.

At the one hour mark the different layers began to blend together. 15 min later a light scratch revealed clean concrete in several spots on the test area.

The actual dwell time for the project was scheduled for 2 hours. Product was applied to the entire floor area and was kept wet by misting every 30 min. Brushes were used to aid in the breakdown of the many layers. A light scrubbing was initiated each cycle just before additional misting.

After the dwell cycle the floor was cleaned with cold water at about 900 psi. The result was better than 90% removal. The areas near the interior painted wall and around the doorway thresholds retained the most paint. It was determined this was due to less abundant product application in those areas coupled with less brushing.

In all just over 4 gallons was used to treat this 1,200 square foot area. Total material cost was below $20.00 The entire job took just over 3.5 hours start to finish (not including the initial test patch)

Due to the experimental nature of this project the customer was only required to provide lunch for the crew. Had this job been bid out the price would have been set at $600.00 - $800.00 dollars.

The key to the success of this job was the very extensive dwell time. At first it seemed that the results were to be unfavorable however the extensive dwell time enabled the paint to be rinsed away with very low pressure.

On a personal note, I would not want to make a living doing this type of project however if the customer is persistent and the money is right I know that it can be done.

I hope this helps!

Best of Luck

Russell Cissell

1-866-536-7393

E-mail: imrcc1@aol.com

That would have been a good one to have taken photos of.

The main problem I have encountered is that few customers are willing to pay the amount of money required to justify a crew spending so much time.