Sign in to follow this  
Snow Lover

What to tell a friend?

Question

A friend of mine wants to get into p/w homes BUT has never never used a p/w.

Well he rented one to do his driveway only if you call that really using one.

No one around here needs any help and I have not got started yet plus you work for someone around here then go out on your own all of a sudden bad rumors start popping up about you.

Told me he's getting insurance before starting.

He is starting out part time.

He doesn't have a puter so he can't look anything up but he is a very hard and proud worker.I know he would do a great job.

Should I advise him to just go for it?

Did any of you start with no idea what you were doing(trial & error)?

8 answers to this question

I did 6 months of research before starting. I read books and read articles online and of course got involved on the boards and talked to folks on the phone. I am working on my first real job right now and I still have a lot to learn. There is a lot more than just doing the work, like licenses, permits, insurance, taxes, bookeeping, and all start up costs. I couldn't image doing all this without access to a computer or someone else's help. It took me awhile to get all my ducks in a row and get rolling. As far as experience in using a PW I had, and still have, very little. You don't need to be experienced to do a quality job. But you have to have the knowledge of what you are doing and know the steps to take to get the results you want. Personally I would tell the friend there is a lot involved that he is probably not aware of and that it will be all uphill for awhile, but if he seems determined I would tell him to go for it if that is what he wants. Because he will most likely do it anyway no matter what you tell him and he'll just have to learn from his own experience.

Not to be rude but if he "just goes for it" without any experiance what difference is he over Joe home owner that just bought his own pw. Theres a hell of alot more to running a legitamate washing company than just cranking up a machine and telling every one heh I'm a pro use me. We get those kinds of guys around here all the time and they really **** me off. I highly highly urge him to get training Why not you train him, Hell tell him to fly out here I'll train him. Our market is full of spalsh and dashers and granted he has insurance but with no knowlege he could really mess stuff up.

Have him wash his house his folks house, stepfolks house and there driveways for free. He has to get experiance before he even thinks about charging for his work.

I dont know if that any makes sense but I am getting off my soap box now.

Richard

You guys hit the nail on the head!!

I used to have a lawn business so all the other things I just knew I have to take care of and never gave it much thought when he asked me.

Think I better have a long talk with him before he makes some big mistakes.

SnowLover, Invite him to work with you. Nothing beats hands on experience. If your just getting strted, maybe you guys could help each other out and work together on the company. best advice you can give someone is to READ READ READ and go practice on something you own and not one someone elses house.

Barry, Glad to hear things are working out for you, we still got to get together sometime.

You might want to tell your friend that having insurance might be the first step, but without any practical experience, having to USE that insurance early on might put him out of business faster than he got into it. Hands on, labor for learning, get an agreement and become partners, anything other than just jumping in blind is a plus.

Celeste

Delco's website has alot of free (printable) how to guides in several categories, i.e. house washing, driveways, auto and fleet washing. Since he does not have a computer, maybe you could print some of these how to's up for him and have him do some studying. Also, explain to him that the service is alot more than just pointing the wand. This site (TGS) has alot of printable advice as well. Put one of those telescopic 24ft wands in his hands and see how he feels about the work after balancing that beast for a while. Best advice is to not discourage his desire to succeed on his own, whatever business he chooses. It is a big step to be self employed. It takes some bravery to jump out of the "system" and do it yourself. Having the insurance is a good start, but if you start having claims within your first year, the current provider will without question drop his firm. Plus alot of firms will not insure a company such as this, that is less than 3 years old. Research, research , research before you pull the trigger on that wand.You know that there is alot more to running a business than just showing up on the jobsite, so , share that info with him. Go with him when he gets his equipment. Don't let him get talked into a wimpy system. Spend the money on the best gear he can afford.

But, make sure he understands he will most likely be operating in the "Red" for quit a while before he starts seeing the "Black" and the rent or mortgage will still keep coming, regardless.